Fox

something to watch for today

Welcome Forums Utah Utes Sports Football something to watch for today

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      2008 National Champ
      Participant

small sample size and all, but.,,

Rising was missing when throwing to his left last week: high and behind on the deep in to Singer, nowhere near Singer on the quick slant that could have been a pick-6. Also was late and behind when moving his feet: behind Parks on drag route, late to Kuithe on swing route which gave neither a chance for YAC.

Makes me wonder how much affect the brace is having

The Miami Ute
      Participant

If he’s not fully fit or the same player he was before his injury, we’ll most definitely find out against stiffer competition. I keep thinking of Brewer looking good versus Weber State in 2021 and then laying eggs versus BYU and SDSU. Hopefully, Rising doesn’t repeat that script.

2008 National Champ
        Participant

Brewer’s issue was that he didn’t have confidence. That will never be a problem with Rising.

I’m hoping it was just 1st game back after a long layoff issues. We’ll see in an hour or so.

The Miami Ute
          Participant

Hmmm, I always had a different take on Brewer. Essentially, that he had too much confidence, even after his abilities began to degrade. I mean the dude is the second leading passer in Baylor history and had some monster games with the Bears. I followed him closely as he made his transition to Utah and the primary reason why Aranda showed him the door was his lengthy injury history, in his case with concussions. History has proven that Aranda was right, since Brewer’s career trajectory disintegrated after leaving Baylor.

2008 National Champ
            Participant

confidence may have been the wrong word but I don’t know what to replace it with. Both Brewer and Bentley seemed so afraid of turning the ball over that they wouldn’t put the ball anywhere near danger. Which was strange since both came in with the reputation of being gunslingers who would make something out of nothing.

Was that mentality coached out of them? I’m not sure. But both were shells of their former selves while on the hill

The Miami Ute
              Participant

Yeah, Bentley is another guy I’m familiar with since I lived in Columbia, SC before moving back to Utah. I once saw him throw for well over 500 yards and 5 TDs at Clemson when that team was at its highest level. He most definitely was not the same guy is his one year stint in Utah

//r00t4Utes
      Participant

I’m not saying he didn’t miss those 2 throws but also acknowledged he was pressured and/or hit on those 2 throws.

Think a combo of rust and timing of first game is reasonable to attribute to those 2 plays.

Charlie Foxtrot
        Participant

Well and he only got a half to knock the rust off. Hopefully Rising gets more comfortable and the O line gels and does a better job of pass protection.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.