Fox

Spam Update

Welcome Forums Ute Hub Site Spam Update

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

I’ve been struggling for a long time with spam accounts, as most of you know. Bots, or humans seemingly have had no issue breaking through the Captcha’s and the quizzes I’ve installed into the registration form. They register hundreds of email accounts. Once they’re in, they send message spam and/or post spam to their accounts and to the forums. It’s been painful trying to filter out those users and especially painful removing the garbage they post when they make it through.

I finally found a plugin that seems to be working in preventing those accounts from registering, and it also scans the posts for spam links too and disallows them. I’m in a trial period until the end of July then it is only a yearly subscription of $30/year.

If you see spam or questionable accounts, definitely let me know. Hopefully this solution will be mostly the end of it.

beaslad
      Participant

I just got this one twice:

“Hello,
      I am Mr.Adams Kodjo,I saw your profile at (www.utehub.com) and emailed you,Can we work as a team in this great opportunity? For details, contact me by email;
      Regards
      adamskodjo722@gmail.com

NarfUte
      Participant

You posted this and I got a spam message from “Adams Kodjo” just now..

beaslad
        Participant

Jinx!

pics
        Participant

I got the same email from Adams Kodjo.

Tony (admin)
          Keymaster

For clarification, it is most likely that you received an email notification from the site that a user sent you a private message. The spammer did not “email” you directly.

CityCreekUte
      Participant

Haha must be bad luck. I literally came to say you’ve got some spammer bots getting through (1st time for me from utehub)

I am Mr.Adams Kodjo,I saw your profile at (www.utehub.com) and emailed you,Can we work as a team in this great opportunity? For details, contact me by email;
      Regards
      adamskodjo722@gmail.com

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

Jinxed myself. DAMMIT TO HELL

ryynoo
      Participant

Adam emailed me too. Just now in fact.

High Uintas
        Participant

How are they getting your email address from this website?

Tony (admin)
          Keymaster

I don’t think the spammer “emailed” anyone. They just send direct messages and then the website sends out an email notification.

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

I’ve deleted (hopefully) all the spam messages and banned that user. Also, this new plugin I have allows sites like this one to report these spammers, so they will be blacklisted elsewhere.

GameForAnyFuss
        Participant

Wait wait wait…don’t delete it. I was looking forward to the opportunity to work with Adams Kodjo and I was hoping he would find a way to get in touch with me!

mesovanhorny
      Participant

He got me too. What a dill weed. Must be just enough people who fall for this ish out there

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

No need for anyone else to post that you received it. 🙂 We got it.

Uteusmc
      Participant

No worries Tony.. it so rarely happens on this site as a user that I dont give it a second thought. All is well and look forward to being more active like most when fools ball starts next month. Go Utes! Keep up the good work

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.