Next:
TCU @  Utah
ESPN

Special teams could very well determine Utah’s fate in the P12 Championship.

Donate in the 2024 Fundraiser! Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Special teams could very well determine Utah’s fate in the P12 Championship.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      2 9
      Trailgoat
      Participant

At this point, all indications are Utah’s STs are unfixable. Utah may be better off onside kicking the ball and going for it on 4th down or taking a safety if deep in their own territory. Whoever is recruiting kickers and coaching the STs needs a new assignment. Baffling how Utah’s kickers are incapable of kicking the ball out of the endzone at elevation. 

OU/WSU run back a KO or block a punt, Utah loses on Friday.

“OU/WSU run back a KO or block a punt, Utah loses on Friday.” Would you please provide a link?

GameForAnyFuss
      Participant

Are you really advocating taking a safety instead of risking a punt return for touchdown? Statistics aren’t going to support your strategy, I’m afraid.

A safety is worth 2 points, a TD worth 6. So you would have to be giving up a TD on 1 out of every 3 punts in order for you to “break even” with this strategy. This year, Utah has punted 33 times, and I believe there’s been 3 blocked or returned for TD? That’s 1 out of every 11 punts. We’ve given up 18 points on punt returns this year. If we had used your strategy, we would’ve given up 66 points, a net difference of -48 points which is -4 ppg.

I get it that you’re not happy with our special teams. I’m not either. But that would be an extreme overreaction.

There’s pessimism, there’s irrational pessimism, then there’s this idea.

RedRocks
        Participant

Yeah…. Intentionally taking a safety is an incredibly poor idea.  Somehow, this is not the first time I have heard that idea around here.  I don’t understand some people…

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.