Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

Spread

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      ALUF
      Participant

Utah opens as a 22 point favorite, I have to think the Aggies cover if Wilson starts. I’m a believer in him long term but right now he just isn’t it. It boggles my mind how we have no other qbs. Just hoping that a game plan with him in mind as the starter he would be different but we will see. If rising plays, we cover. Just so good on offense with him there is no way we keep it within 20.

RedRocks
      Participant

Yeah… I wouldn’t take that if Rising is not starting. I assume we won’t find out until the game starts.

The offense looked pretty bad without Rising; however, I’m not sure how much of that was due to play calling.
      Wilson missed some targets, but didn’t seem to get a lot of ‘easy’ attempts.
      The coaches seemed to be determined to establish the run and bleed out the clock, but even that didn’t work too well.

Add in the ‘prevent’ (or whatever you want to call it) defense that allows the other team to move the ball at will (I will never feel good about this strategy) and the team did not look good at the end of the game.

Tony (admin)
        Keymaster

I hate those strategies, but one can’t argue this time around that they didn’t work. Might not work against a better team though.

Hellhound152
        Participant

Wilson had several easy schemed completions the first three series of the third quarter. He was missing reads on pretty simple concepts including one that would have gone for a 70 yard catch and run TD to Money. After that, the coaches had no choice but to shut it down, avoid a turnover, and get out of there with a win.

The D was out there forever on a 95 degree day in the 2nd half. Yeah, they gave up yards they were not giving up when they were fresh but holding a p4 team to 12 points and approximately 200 yards is a stellar performance.

RedRocks
          Participant

I wasn’t trying to blame the players on defense; more the play calling. You are probably right about Wilson, but I still think they should have given him more ‘easy’ (none of it is easy) chances.

2008 National Champ
            Participant

the problem wasn’t the plays that were called for Wilson, or also Rising after the made field goal, it was the setup. the first 10-15 scripted plays all included formation shifts, motion and misdirection. After that it was just lineup and run the called play. At some point you have to try to either fool the other guy or at least make them think twice about their reads.

This isn’t a new issue with Ludwig and it was especially noticeable last year. He tries a bunch of things in his script and then if he comes back to them later, he forgets the setup.

5 2
      Utah
      Participant

I love this spread:

Vegas: Wilson is a QB with loads of potential on a really good team and every Corner Canyon QB excels when the offense is tailored to them and Utah State is terrible. We think Utah wins by 3 scores.

Internet guys: Utah will barely win!!!

My prediction: Rising sits, we destroy USU and some dope says “If Rising gets hurt so much and Wilson played so well, should we just stick with Wilson?”

lol. Gotta love it.

salty-ute
        Participant

completely agree. USU is reeeeaaally bad, they struggled for 3 quarters against a bad fcs team and made USC rushing game and defense look world class. The only thing that USU has going for them is that it is a home game against a big rival for them. Utah will have to make several serious mistakes to lose this game.

Utah
          Participant

Yeah, Barnes’ 3.8 yards per completion has me quaking in my boots.

Like I said somewhere, you could put me in at QB and beat Utah State. That’s how bad they are.

4 1
      MotherJabubu
      Participant

I really hope Rising plays. We need his rust fully and completely removed for OK St

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.