Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

Spring transfer window could go bye-bye

Welcome Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Spring transfer window could go bye-bye

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      High Uintas
      Participant

LINK

If this proposal becomes reality, the 30 day December window would be the only time athletes could enter the portal.

Utah
      Participant

Good.

9 1
      //r00t4Utes
      Participant

To me, if there’s only going to be 1 window, it makes the most sense to only have the spring window. That way, bowl games and playoff games won’t be affected by players leaving, and players can leave after their spring games when they have an idea of where they stand on the depth chart.

Rick Walker
        Participant

Nah that makes too much sense for that to be the one they go with

22Ute22
        Participant

I disagree tbh, although I see your point. The spring portal opens after a lot of teams have finished playing their spring game. Teams ideally want players on campus during winter for workouts, and then for spring ball.

ProudUte
        Participant

I hate the December window because it hurts bowl game prep and makes the bowl games almost worthless. But, I understand that it needs to stay. Why? Kids transferring want to get enrolled in time for the new semester, so they can participate in spring camp.

So, I guess the next best thing is to get rid of the spring portal window. The coaching staff is trying to develop depth, and then someone who sees that he won’t be the starter transfers. It is hard to run a football program that way.

2008 National Champ
      Participant

and yet coaches, the people most pushing for the new rule because “it’s too hard to plan your roster if players can’t be forced to stay and can change schools whenever they want”, can still shop their services any time they want and potentially screw up multiple schools coaching staffs in the process.

Ask Arizona and Washington how much fun it was dealing with the fallout of Saban leaving Alabama. I say that is much more disruptive to a program than the backup QB wanting to try somewhere else after Spring ball.

krindor
        Participant

I would presume that the portal would still open for teams undergoing coaching changes. That’s currently the case and this wouldn’t change that

2008 National Champ
          Participant

I agree that the 30 day window will stick after coaching changes but that’s a band-aid. Again, look at Arizona and Washington whose coaching changes happened after the transfer window had closed. The new staff(s) had to try to figure out who would be willing to stay at their current school as well as shopping from the bargain basement section of the portal because talent they may have wanted to go after during the window had already been picked through.

1 1
        Utah
        Participant

This is why hearing coaches whining about NIL and transfers and everything makes me laugh. They are cool with the system as long as it keeps players not paid, not able to transfer but the coach can leave whenever they want, do commercials, shop their services around, etc.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.