Utah @  Utah State
CBS Sports Network

TE Question?????

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Zigziggler
      Participant

One question that was brought up during media day was the health of Brant Kuithe. Back before his injury he definitely moved the needle for us. Our offense often went through him. If he is not fully back, our depth behind him is a bit unproven. Or at least stylistically we would have to change our offensive approach or how we use the TE.
      Last year stats from our TE group:
      Landen King- 14 catches 166 yards
      CJ Jacobsen- DNP
      Carson Ryan- 13 catches 205 yards
      Miki Suguturaga- 4 catches 42 yards. Saw snaps at DE

By the looks of it Kuithe better be full throttle back. Or here’s too a much improved WR group!

NarfUte
      Participant

The WR group is going to be the best we’ve seen in a very long time (Maybe ever). Also, Landen King will break out and Caleb Lohner will have 3+ TD’s this year. So let it be written so let it be done

Zigziggler
      Participant

That’s right I forgot about Longer. It is written but not done!

Yergensen
      Participant

This is a non-issue. Behind Kuithe is Carsen Ryan a 4* 90, Landen King 3* 89 and CJ Jacobsen 3* 88.

We’ll be fine at TE this season and in the future.

pedro
        Participant

I agree. King proved himself last year with limited ops. His blocking, route running, catchings skills will suffice.

Zigziggler
        Participant

Carson Ryan has not put up meaningful numbers since he was a Junior in High School. That means as a Freshman in high school, sophomore in high school, Junior in high school (great), Senior in high school, Freshman at UCLA, and Sophomore at UCLA he did nothing. His Junior year at American Fork High (great) was a very pedestrian team. I wouldn’t get caught up with the shine of ⭐⭐⭐⭐. Landen King showed promise in a very small sample size, CJ Jacobsen has been unheard of. However admittedly, I am high on. Lohner has got an excellent body for the position but hasn’t played in a minute (make that several minutes). I don’t think you can say it is an issue or not an issue at this point. Just pointing out that are depth is very unproven and by the looks of it may have to depend more on receivers than ever.

bopahull
      Participant

I don’t think judging our TE group from last year’s stats is even possible. Our QBs were so inept that 160 reception yards is almost remarkable.

Rick Walker
        Participant

Agreed. I really liked what I saw from Landen King last year and think/hope he can have a really good year, especially if we run a lot of two tight end sets.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

Lohner could be a sleeper around the end zone. At 6’7 240 hard to guard. Great rebounder so knows how to block out.

Central Coast Ute
        Participant

Whitt has been mentioning Lohner every chance he gets. That tells me they expect good things from him. He might take a year or so to get there, but he should be good.

D T
          Participant

The only real question regarding CL is how well he takes to contact….Seems like he has all the tools to be productive, but will he be able to catch balls across the middle, for instance?

Zigziggler
      Participant

I guess we have been spoiled so much with pre injury Kuithe and Kincade from an offensive standpoint that our measuring stick is pretty high. In terms of star ratings of our TE’s, I don’t know if we can all assume that we will be alright. However I trust Whittingham, if he isn’t saying anything about TE’s than it’s not an issue.

Dallas
        Participant

I’m very surprised we aren’t hearing more about Kuithe. Hope that’s a good thing but idk why it would be.

RedRocks
      Participant

I often wondered why they didn’t throw to Landen King more last season; he seemed to catch almost everything.

Rick
      Participant

I think comparing any offensive player on this year’s team to their production last year is a bad analysis. King is a good TE. We didn’t discover that until later in the season because we had extremely poor QB play and a pretty bad pass blocking O-Line.

Zigziggler
        Participant

The problem I have with analysis is that the TE typically is a bad quarterbacks best friend. TE’ typically run a little easier throw routes. They are often the safety blanket for quarterbacks that don’t have strong arms, or have trouble reading the field. So either Landen King had a couple splash plays at the end of the season and we are of the belief that the splash is going to be much bigger over a larger sample size or Landen King is a different kind of TE that doesn’t fit very well. Either way I have confidence in our coaches, but it is fun to critically analyze positional groups based on potential or lack there of.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.