Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

The good, the bad, and the uglY.

Welcome Cowboy Fans Forums Utah Utes Sports Football The good, the bad, and the uglY.

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      UTE98
      Participant

Sorry, I’ll start with the uglY. Sitake, you got way too emotionally wrapped up in the game and it cost your team. Your unsportsmanlike tantrum cost your team. Your unquenchable desire to beat Utah and subsequent decision to go for two cost your team. I wouldn’t have questioned that second choice as much if you hadn’t had the emotional melt down earlier. It made me realize how much KW has toned down emotionally. He is a sage now compared to Sitake.

The bad, six, seis, 6, VI, turnovers. Joe Williams will not be the feature back this year because lucky for us we have good backups. Moss and McCormick are more than good enough to bench Williams. My fear is they try to coach the aggression out of TWII to limit turnovers. We need the passing game, and shutting it down won’t get us to the pinnacle. Please in the RED Zone coach the turnovers out, but in the middle of the field keep the aggression.

The good, with 6 turnovers in my mind it only magnified the difference in where these two programs are heading. With 6 turnovers TDS only managed 13 points. We beat them 54-10 when they had 7 turnovers, they could only muster 19 points including one TD not from TOs. Though we’re not really off the hook, we didn’t exactly light it up on offense, due to those 6 turnovers.

As close as the game was last night, if we cut down on turnovers that game is not even close. We gave them the ball on our 16 which resulted in a FG, our 36 which resulted in a FG, our 49 for no points, in the endzone which they turned into a TD (10 point swing at a minimum), turned it over on their 5 and we were at the 28 so within FG range before the INT (another 3 points), Boobie Hobbs muffs the punt on their 49. So if we pick up just a FG the two times we are in range and don’t give up the TD the score would have been 26-13 and while not exactly great it is good enough. And if we avoid the two FGs by holding onto the ball it’s really more like 26-7. I know you can’t play the what if game, but really sans those six turnovers we dominated them in that game. Clean up the turnovers and we’re still pretty good.

• This topic was modified 8 years ago by UTE98.
      Anonymous
      Inactive

The bad, six, seis, 6, VI, turnovers. Joe Williams will not be the feature back this year because lucky for us we have good backups. Moss and McCormick are more than good enough to bench Williams. My fear is they try to coach the aggression out of TWII to limit turnovers. We need the passing game, and shutting it down won’t get us to the pinnacle. Please in the RED Zone coach the turnovers out, but in the middle of the field keep the aggression.

I don’t know Whitt wasn’t much of a sage when those turnovers happened.

UTE98
        Participant

I think Whitt’s best decision was taking the field goal up by 4. While I would have loved to get the first down there, going up by 7 was the better decision. If we don’t get the 1st down and TDS scores a TD, it’s game over.

Sitake going for two was the exact opposite of what Whitt decided. It cost them a chance at overtime and rather than reaching for a win, a fair shot to win in OT.

Whitt didn’t decide to have 6 turnovers, and he pulled Williams when he had his. Williams aggressive TOs were less costly than a fumble in the middle of the field. Sure we could have put the game more out of reach earlier but it didn’t cost us the game.

Anonymous
          Inactive

I think Sitake made the right decision to go for two.  Nacua was out of the game.  Utah had just basically marched down the field for 11 minutes on your defense and was a bad spot away from scoring.  Playing the odds in OT the house wins typically.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.