Arizona @  Utah
ESPN

The recruit I'm most excited for

Beat Arizona Forums Utah Utes Sports Football The recruit I'm most excited for

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Wilson’s Mustache
      Participant

With exception to Troy Williams whom will most likely have a huge impact on Utah’s performance next year. The recruit I’m most excited for is David Luafatasaga.

The biggest position of need for Utah on defense is clearly at LB. We lost two all conference LBs and have near zero exp left after them. Sounds like Luafatasaga can come in and be a major contributor at LB right away.

He was heavily recruited by Ole Miss who relies on their LBs to be very quick from sideline-to-sideline. He’ll fit perfectly in when Utah runs their 4-3 or 4-2-5. At 6’4″ he will add some size that Utah lacked with Gionni & Norris (probably the only negative thing you can say about either player). Listening to him on ESPN700 he seemed very excited about being able to come in and play LB right away.

Not sure who will be the other LB(s) besides him. It could be Hansen, Barton, Masina, Hamilton or Taufa.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I agree this position group will be key to Utah’s defensive success next season.  Looking at his film it looks like he can play that edge rusher style like Reilly and Kruger.

I hope he comes to Utah in shape and they can add some more muscle on him.  It looks like he has difficulty bringing guys down and slides down on his tackles.  It has always felt like Utah has lacked linebackers that have speed edge to edge. Paul and Norris really had that ability.

With the strength being the Dline the Linebackers really need to be assignment sound. I also want Hansen to move to linebacker but we shall see where he goes.

Wilson’s Mustache
        Participant

I’ll be interested to see how Utah plans to utilize him. Bill Riley mentioned being a stand-up DE and he didn’t seem too thrilled to move in that direction. Laufatasaga said he wanted to play safety in high school (played corner if you can believe that) and played LB in Juco. Said he really wants to just be a LB. I guess more as a MLB?

Brian Swinney said it was unlikely that they would play him at DE.

Sidenote: He will be wearing Nate Orchard’s #8.

Anonymous
          Inactive

I don’t remember seeing him in coverage situations in any of his film. If he has that experience and ability it could prove invaluable considering the times Utah got burned by tight ends.

Wilson’s Mustache
            Participant

Yeah looking at his film it looked like he was really good at hitting the holes and getting to the QB/RB behind the LoS.

Not really sure what he has in mind for himself, but I have faith in the coaching staff to place him in the best fit & develop him to be a stud. He has things you can teach (size, speed, instincts).

I was also really impressed that when they asked what makes him different from other players he answered his intelligence and preparation.

Anonymous
              Inactive

I saw him a few times line up on the edge as a stand up DE. But whatever.

On a side note did you watch any of the Pats vs Broncos game?  A play that intrigued me is when Wade Phillips lined up Ward over the center. I thought man that would be sick to slide Lotuleilei over the sides and then send Pita T up the middle or another speedster up the middle. It really was genius and threw off Brady and the center.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I’ll be curious if Wishnowsky comes even close to Hackett?

Will Fotu get jersey #42?

Will Troy Williams be our most impactful player?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.