Next:
Utah @  Utah State
CBS Sports Network

The slowdown game does not seem to work

Welcome Big12 Fans and Foes Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) The slowdown game does not seem to work

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

How many times this year have we had a solid lead, then f’d it up by going to the slowdown game? We were SHREDDING UCLA with great D and RUNNING. You know, the RUNNIN’ UTES.

As soon as we went to the slowdown our offense stalled and we ended up taking bad shots with no time left on the shot clock. That’s why this game and several others we should have easily won were so close.

Wilson’s Mustache
      Participant

Fire Whittingham!

but seriously I understand slowing it down, but I don’t understand givin yourself 5 secs to jack up a shot at the last second of the clock.

The Utes play much better this year when they can run and space things out. They gain confidence and everything clicks.

Ute Bc
      Participant

No win call.  If you keep running and gunning and you drag the game out (fouls, to’s or worse) you are dumb for not running down the clock and protecting the lead. I like slowing it down, makes our guys get used to making big shots. Loveridge Had a 3 rim out on the prior possession- good to see him take that shot. Getting confidence at the right time!

Anonymous
      Inactive

I agree keep the pace up and stop playing not to lose.

rbmw263
      Participant

our offense wasnt necessarily humming because we were running and pushing pace. But we were actively attacking and putting stress on the defense, which eventually leads to a defensive mistake, and an open shot. When we sit there for 25 seconds and then make the other team defend one single high screen and roll, it really makes life easy for them and murders all of our offensive rhythm. We dont have a dynamic playmaker on the wing that we can just give the ball to at the end of clock and let them go make a play. We have to maximize the offensive actions, to maximize the chances that the defense will slip up and we get an open look.

If we only run one action, chances are we arent getting a clean look. Thats exactly what happens when we try to drain clock. I want to smack Coach K over the head with a giant blinking billboard that says this.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by rbmw263.
      rbmw263
      Participant

Dont sit there and try to hang on for dear life to win. That mindset seems deeply ingrained in both our Basketball and our Football team. I dont know why that is, but it will be the death of me.

Put your foot on the f*#(*@) gas pedal and go freaking take the win. When the New England Patriots (a team I despise) gets the ball up 7 with 2:30 left, they come out and aggressively try and get a first down to end the game. You will NEVER see them run it up the gut 3 times and try to hang on for the win. They go take it. and its demoralizing for opponents. It also wins games, which is a nice perk

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by rbmw263.
      Anonymous
      Inactive

They stopped going into Poetl, which resulted in several misses outside. Couple that with UCLA making several 3s (did that Hamilton kid ever miss??) and that is what closed up the score. Prior to that, Utah was getting stops on D that lead to points.

Tony (admin)
        Keymaster

Great comments. To be clear I’m saying that we were running BECAUSE of great defense and getting steals.

It is very similar to football and playing the “prevent yourself from winning defense.”

Anonymous
          Inactive

Chambers on 700 had a great point this team gets a lead then allows a few three point shots to be made by the opponent. Then they think they need to start shooting a three instead of playing in the offense which is Poeltl. (paraphrasing)
          Poeltl should be options A-Y in the offense and then Z is the other four guys. Now that is a bit of hyperbole but Poeltl is the best player on the team by far.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.