Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

The thing that concerns me most about Baylor

Welcome Forums Utah Utes Sports Football The thing that concerns me most about Baylor

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      6 1
      ProudUte
      Participant

Baylor’s QB is athletic and elusive. We can play good D, and he can still escape for a 20-yard run. We need to be very disciplined with our pash rush.

I don’t think that Baylor will be able to stop our offense. We have too many weapons. If they double Kuithe, we will go to Singer, Bently, Parks, etc.

Go Utes!!!

2 2
      22Ute22
      Participant

Agreed. Dual threat QB’s are problem for every team, but for some reason, Utah seems to struggle with them to an extreme degree. Looking back the past few years with DTR, Caleb Williams, and Anthony Richardson, all of those guys absolutely made our DE’s look silly. Yes, I understand those were all elite dual threat, but our DE’s seem to ALWAYS lose contain or be faked out by them. Even in the SUU game, their QB broke off more runs in the first half than he should have. Hopefully it’s just 1st game jitters.

Jim Vanderhoof
        Participant

I agree with the fact we have struggled in the past against dual threat QBs. Seems we improved every game against Caleb Williams last two years. Contained pass rush keeps them in the pocket. Hope our tackles can get a push up the middle.

Redblood
          Participant

I mean if the Baylor QB gets hurt in the game like Caleb maybe we slow him down. In our home win we won 43-42. That is not slowing him down much

Yergensen
          Participant

Our struggles against mobile QBs is specific.

It’s not about QB designed runs. It’s not QB running to escape a collapsing pocket.

It’s QB/RB run option involving a running QB and a good RB. That’s what our bugaboo is.

It wasn’t DTR and AR. It was DTR + Charbonnet and AR + Johnson + Etienne that gashed us.

UteThunder
        Participant

One reason we struggle more with mobile QBs is because we play a lot of man coverage. When your DBs and LBs have their backs turned because they are in coverage, it makes it very easy for a mobile QB to pick up yards with their feet.

Utah#1
          Participant

Like a lot of good P5 teams in the top 5 or 10, they make adjustments to counter that. If Utah is given “top 10” treatment, they need to act like it. The days of not being able to improve past mistakes is no longer an excuse. If man to man doesn’t work against a dual threat, play some level of zone coverage and take away his ability to escape. This is Whitt’s first dog and pony show and he should have learned from these issues already. Dude is about to retire!

//r00t4Utes
            Participant

Reading this post, the Utes and coach Whitt must have a losing record and are lucky to ever win a game. And to make it worse They’ve gotten blown out by every mobile QB’s They’ve ever faced. They should forfeit this game since it’s a proven fact Whitt and coach Scalley get ran off the field by every running QB.

But seriously, while the base defense is a 4-2-5, preferred man defense (used to be a 4-3), it’s not like they don’t play some zone coverage the coaches have even talked about it especially during the covid season.

Every game is different, but to me, what stands out most between the more successful games versus less successful is the DE’s and their contained control pass rush.

Utah
          Participant

And one reason why Utah has not struggled vs mobile QB’s lately is because they play a lot more zone concepts. This man up and blitz the extra guys Utah defense is not what Scalley runs.

What gives me the most hope for Scalley taking over for Whitt is this is Scalley’s defense, not Whitt’s. While it has its origins in Whitt’s man up defense, it is not Whitt’s defense. It is very different.

BD
            Participant

Very good point.

10 1
      AZUTE
      Participant

Did you just compare the Baylor QB to 3 NFl QBs????

Williams and Richardson are elite dual threat QBs like the top 1% of dual threat QBs. Quinn is nowhere near as talented as those 2.

You know what scares me about Baylor?????

NOTHING!!!

Utah is gonna smoke em by 30

DE just need to keep proper lane protection. Don’t let him outside of the pocket. I’m sure Scalley with have a Spy for him.

Keep him in the pocket he’s not a good passer.

Offensively Utah puts up a 50 burger on them.

Utah is gonna dominate in the trenches. Baylor’s Oline struggled to open holes for their RBs against Tarlington St. how are they gonna do against Utah’s DL??

Charlie
        Participant

Spy is best. Will it rotate with Johnson, Snowden and Reid or will it be someone’s primary assignment? Will se see some more 3 DE sets? Still, Baylor needs to slow the Utah offense to make it matter.

22Ute22
        Participant

Finn is a very good runner, not as good a passer as Williams at all, and doesn’t have the experience that DTR did heading into 2022. But all of those guys made our DE’s look like HS players tbh. It would be fine if it happened only occasionally, but I want to see our DE’s be able to chase a mobile QB like Finn sideline to sideline and make him really earn those yards.

AZUTE
          Participant

Just keep solid rush lanes and keep him in the pocket. Don’t let him beat you with his legs. Make him beat you with his arm.

Anfernee
      Participant

2023 Baylor was 118/133 in run defense and 85/133 in pass defense. And they weren’t decimated by injuries or anything. I never want to disrespect or look past a team but I think we’ll be ok. Especially at home.

UTEopia
      Participant

The only thing that scares me about this week is that it is a day game and I always feel the Utes play better at night.

Trailgoat
      Participant

Concerns going into Baylor in the context of Utah living up to the B12 champion hype. Rewatched the game. Clearly this was a successful tune up game for Rising and Kuithe. A lot of wide open options for Rising. Agree with all the positives discussed on the board. Some observations going into the Baylor game, O’toole got pushed around on run plays and was out of position on several plays. Will be interesting to see if Baylor runs right at him when he’s in. Fano struggled in pass pro. Oline at Utah usually takes a few games to settle in so all trust in Harding getting it right. Depth at CB this early in the season could be an issue if the young guys don’t develop. KW already talking about moving Johnson to CB is not a good sign. Again, mostly overall solid first game performance. Baylor game tells us more about this team.

1 2
      Matt
      Participant

You guys will destroy Baylor at home. They are not good. I think even my Zoobs can beat them this year. As long as Cam is healthy, you guys are in great shape. However, I’d worry if he goes down. Wilson looked bad the other night, and he is tiny. Looks 4 inches shorter than Zach.

Zach was at the zoob game Saturday. I thought he would be back to being a Ute fan now that his brother is there, but glad to see him wearing a Y hat on the sideline.

Utah#1
        Participant

I think he had to show up at the BYU game letting every one know in the fanbase that he was merely supporting his little brother Isaac and is not a traitor. Trust me, that’s how both fanbases think! Guilty by associate if your seen associating with the enemy. LOL!

Utah
        Participant

I’ll say this again, but I. Wilson looked very good for a true freshman in his first college game ever. He was poised in the pocket, has a great arm, threw completions while being hit, stepped up in the pocket, made good reads.

His first INT was a tough situation. Bad throw, but for a kid who thinks he can do it all on 3rd and 15…The coaches put him out there to see how he would respond. If he learns from that, he will be fine.

And the second INT…the WR was open for the TD. If Wilson throws it to the back corner it’s a TD. So everything about the play was good except for the throw. I’d prefer he hit the easy throw with the TE underneath and I bet the coaches do as well, but he saw the field well there.

After watching Wilson in game 1, Utah fans should be very, very excited. If Rising goes down, we will be just fine.

Central Coast Ute
          Participant

Yep. And if what we’re hearing is true, Wilson learns from his mistakes. In fact, that’s a big reason why he’s QB2.

Central Coast Ute
        Participant

He went to BYU, so no problem with him being a BYU fan. I think even Whitt still has a place in his heart for BYU as an institution. Now, Utah fed his kids, and provided him with an amazing career so I’m sure he’s a Ute through and through, but contrary to what BYU fans think, i don’t think he hates BYU. I think he hates BYU fans, though.

BUBearsFan
      Participant

Baylor’s success will greatly depend on plays like in these highlights. Finn versus Ohio State starts at 5:06. He’ll have better weapons at Baylor. But he’ll have a below average OL.

Can his arm and legs put enough pressure on the Utah defense to help open up the run game? If so we have a chance or at least keep it close.

All Finn Highlights

Central Coast Ute
        Participant

Welcome, and thanks for posting. Finn looks great. I haven’t seen any Baylor football since last season when the Utes played them. We all know who Finn is, and you mentioned the OL as a potential weakness. Is there anything else we should look out for and will you be attending the game

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.