Utah @  Houston
ESPN+

They’ve quit.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      6 7
      Utesbyfive
      Participant

At every level, from coaching to seldom used special teams players, this team has quit.

I quit too. They’re paid a lot more than I am, as a 55 year old Utah alum, and I’m not interested if they’re not.

1 6
      Crow
      Participant

I have quit Utah football I have had season tickets since 1995 and 1st year I didn’t renew. Not interested enough plus I got married in Peru and I travel to Peru to see my wife until we get her marriage visa.

RedRocks
        Participant

Okay…

Person posts “I have quit Utah football” on a Utah football fan-site talking about Utah football…

Sure you have…

Yergensen
      Participant

This is a bad take. Even if it were true, let’s back the players to the end.

Defense holds a good offense to 13 points. Clearly they haven’t quit.

MB gets dinged up, but comes back in the game to later rip off an him against the world run where seemingly the only block he gets negated the run. MB hasn’t quit.

Even on offense guys are clearly trying.

We’re a bad offensive team. Whitt and Lud are responsible for all of it. The recruiting, usage and personnel decisions, game plans, play calling.

Whitt and Lud’s legacy was made by 4 things:
      1) Consistently good defenses
      2) Brian Johnson
      3) Tyler Huntley
      4) Cam Rising

We often wonder where the program would be without Whitt, anointing him the GOAT and giving him the credit for the program’s success. I’m starting to wonder where Whitt would be without those 3 QB.

The Miami Ute
        Participant

Well, credit to Whitt and Lud for seeing something in those QBs that other programs didn’t and developing them into quality starters. None of those players came to Utah as the finished article so Whitt and Lud have to get some credit for getting them to the top. That being said, the way the QB room has been mismanaged during the last two seasons is close to a firable offense. That, and this season’s play calling, leave a lot of room for improvement.

EagleMountainUte
          Participant

The evaluation on Rising and Kuithe hasn’t been fair. You can see they are a steps slower than they were before.
          It doesn’t help to drive progress when upperclassman don’t put in the work to be better. That is a huge assumption on my part with zero evidence. Just a conclusion I have come up based entirely on my observations. I don’t get why Rising wasn’t put on IR entirely until his hand didn’t bother him at all.

2008 National Champ
          Participant

If the last two years are only “close” to fireable, then what does that truly look like? You and I had long conversations on here in early 2023 about how bringing Rising back would screw up the QB room for multiple seasons. If a couple of armchair analysts could predict this exact outcome, how much worse does it have to get before enough was too much a long time ago?

EagleMountainUte
            Participant

I can’t help but have a little bit of I told you so at this moment. But it doesn’t matter because the narrative is it was just bad luck that Utah couldn’t entirely rely on Rising to come back close to what he was before.
            2023 the facts are still misconstrued by the simps.

2008 National Champ
              Participant

All throughout sports history, highly successful coaches have been fired when they were no longer effective in their current situation. The notion that what you currently have is the best you can ever aspire to runs counter to everything that makes sports great.

To borrow from Biology 101, a cell in stasis is a cell that is inhibited from growing.

The Miami Ute
                Participant

You have to go no further than Bill Belichick to see what happens when your “way” or “method” no longer works. It’s a tale about as long as time. Just off the top of my head, Bobby Bowden was told “retire or we’ll fire you.” Same with Don Shula…and those guys were streets ahead of Whitt’s high point.

Personally, I’m willing to stick with Whitt until the bitter end, not because I like it, but because I believe he’s earned it and that still counts for something in my book. However, based on what I’ve seen from this program over the last two seasons, I don’t think that Whitt can dig himself out of the dynamic he’s created. Again, I’m not pushing him out, but I have lost confidence in his ability to lead this program to the expected levels of excellence and feel it’s time for a change.

2008 National Champ
                  Participant

I’m on the same page. I want Whitt to dig himself out of the hole. But it can’t happen with his current staff. I brought up Harbaugh last week and think it’s still appropriate.

This season is done. Either announce your retirement effective at the end of the season so that Scalley can have two months before signing day to shore up this year’s class OR get on the phone to every OC you’ve ever heard of and have one of them ready to take over on November 30th. And it had better be incumbent on the new OC to bring all new position coaches with him. Although I suppose Freddie would probably stay because, well, nepotism.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.