Next:
TCU @  Utah
ESPN

Things that baffle me

Donate in the 2024 Fundraiser! Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Things that baffle me

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      SteelUte
      Participant

First off, I appreciate the sense of continuity that Ludwig has brought our offense. I can imagine it would be hard for quarterbacks and offensive players to learn a new system every season like years past. If I recall, Isaac Wilson came here based on his brothers advice to play for Ludwig and his pro-style offense. Ludwig was nearly poached by Notre Dame a few years back. I say this to acknowledge that he is nationally respected. Things I don’t understand in random order.
      1. Where is Landen King? Was trending to be a major contributor last year.
      2. Where were any plays to Caleb Lohner last week? What’s that you say, Rising couldn’t throw the ball farther than 10 yards downfield and or higher than 5 feet off the ground?
      3. Where is Damien Alford the 6’6″ transfer receiver? What about Munir Mclain the 6’4″ receiver that made some plays last year?
      4. Dijon Stanley? Seriously, mix up his plays! You shot your wad with him against SUU, now all you do is give him dive left every play?
      5. We all don’t know what you see in practice- Y’all lock that up. With that said, we all saw Cam throw all game and it was painful to watch. Why not give Isaac a series or two?
      That’s it for now.

highlandute7
      Participant

Wondering the same thing about King and McClain.

Ute Boy
      Participant

Ludwig is way over-rated. He continuously under-utilizes talent, his offenses are not imaginative and he can’t make adjustments. He is also terribly inconsistent from one week to the next. Yes, he’s done some good things during his tenure, but I cringe at the hype he gets at being a nationally respected OC. Just look at his record in the red zone and all the 4th down calls of running the back straight into the line.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

Ludwig is a great coach with a healthy Cam. Not so great without him. Cams ability to run for first downs and move the chains made Ludwig look good.

2008 National Champ
        Participant

Jim, you just made the critic’s point about Ludwig. If his offense is so difficult that only one person can run it effectively, he’s not a great coach. A great coach gets the maximum out of all of his players. He is adaptable with his scheme(s) so that when he is forced to use a different option at the position, they can still maximize their results.

If a healthy Rising is worth 40 points a game while Barnes, Johnson or Wilson are worth 20 points a game.,, I guess you’d better find yourself a whole bunch of Rising’s. Because you stocked your QB room with the other guys and have not turned them into Rising clones.

Ghost of the HEB
      Participant

– Don’t know why they insist on not playing King, but he’s unhappy with it. And now that losses are rolling in, he and others who are unhappy with their lack of reps are definitely rocking the boat.
      – I was also surprised by the lack of Lohner. He had the only TD against AZ, and if your QB isn’t accurate then you could use a big target.
      – All we’ve heard about Alford is he is too behind on the playbook and assignments and such. Munir was hurt but he’s practicing and moved back up the depth chart quickly. I’m guessing just tough to get on the field since two WR sets are most common and we really like Money and Singer.
      – Agreed on stanley. I get he had homerun wheel routes against SUU, but he’s done nothing to show we should be handing him the ball on important downs.
      – The majority of coaches and players were in favor of going with Isaac by mid-game.

Jim Vanderhoof
        Participant

Thanks for the insight Ghost. We as fans have no clue what’s going on inside the locker room. We have weapons but Rising can’t throw and Wilson is being nurtured. Seems we are not utilizing our offensive talent. Maybe we need a college style offense instead of a pro style?

RoboUte
        Participant

The majority of coaches and players were in favor of going with Isaac by mid-game.”

Ya you could see that on them, they were already carrying the defeat on their shoulders. The game is totally different if Wilson comes out. We’d at least had a chance.

With so many players baffled and the absolute toxic MESS our RB room has been for 3 or 4 years we’re seeing more and more culture problems pop up each day.

jshame17
          Participant

Need to move on from Ganther. He doesn’t have it at this level.

RoboUte
            Participant

I’m not convinced about gather’s capabilities but nor am I convinced about Shah’s and he seems untouchable. I think it’s more of a macro situation of how Kyle runs the team. He let Tavion fester for too long because of his capabilities and he has created a tumultuous atmosphere of distrust among the players with his secrecy and, frankly, cosmically bad decision making.

2008 National Champ
              Participant

Saban’s greatness – other than leaving Miami for Alabama at exactly the right time – was in surrounding himself with accomplished people who were not interested in lifetime positions. Every year, half his staff took promotions elsewhere and he brought in proven coaches looking to restart their careers or up and comers hungry to prove themselves against the best. That kept the conversations fresh and innovative.

When you ask the same questions of the same group of people, you get the same answers every damn time. It’s ultimately the Head Coaches vision that gets implemented but how that vision is accomplished benefits when every option is considered instead of just the same options that worked previously. Because there is enough intelligence in major college football that they will eventually figure you out if you aren’t adaptable.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.