Next:
Utah @  Utah State
CBS Sports Network

Thought U would want to see this…

Welcome Big12 Fans and Foes Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Thought U would want to see this…

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Tednab
      Participant

SC are a bunch of spoiled entitled children . It would take a decade to establish the culture we have here there .. they want instant gratification without putting in the work and as a coach your days are number as soon as you walk through that door .. feels good to have something they want and can’t get .. fight on tools

2008 National Champ
        Participant

Pete Carroll, whose only accomplishment prior to 2001 was being a bad NFL coach, had 7 seasons of 11 or more wins out of 9. And that was when you had to build a roster with only HS players.

The talent is already there at SC to have a dominant defense. They just need proper coaching. And great players like to be driven by their coaches. Watch the Florida documentary on Netflix on some of the drills Urban put those guys through. They absolutely loved it. Or just look at Alabama. Nick Saban has never been mistaken for a teddy bear. He demands the best out of his guys and gets it. Anyone who truly wants to be great knows that it can’t be done on talent alone.

4 1
      SteelUte
      Participant

I think if he left to USC, they’re D will improve but they’ll still have a 7-5 or 8-4 season and they’ll make more changes. Then he won’t be as loved to return to the U when Whit leaves after we win it all next year 🙂 . I think at that point people would want B. Johnson more.

Extra Medium
        Participant

B. Johnson isn’t coming back to coach in college. He has 0 interest in being the HC at Utah. He said so.

Scalley has kids going into high school soon. I don’t see him up rooting his family when he has a great thing here. Utahs not perfect. He doesn’t really like Harlan.

EagleMountainUte
      Participant

Can’t beat them…hire them.

OldAsDirtUte
      Participant

If Scalley is indeed the Coach-in-waiting, he would be beyond foolish to take that offer.

Rick
        Participant

Exactly. If Lincoln Riley is successful next season I could see him bolting to the NFL and if he fails I can see them firing him. Not a good ship to jump on.

OldAsDirtUte
          Participant

Of course, any offer he gets would be very interesting at his salary review time…

Central Coast Ute
      Participant

Scalley isn’t dumb. I’m sure they did offer him a lot but what’s the point? Utah’s record over the last 2 years is similar to USC’s and they fired their D coordinator. He knows the grass is not always greener.

3 5
      Utah
      Participant

I’d be ok if he left. It would only help him get better. Why not go and learn from a guy like Lincoln Riley? And if he’s successful, he will have more connections into recruiting.

We’d hire Jay Hill and our DC would be Hill/Shah. Or Hill/Swan as co-coordinators.

We’d be fine. And if/when Scalley gets the HC job, he’d be a better coach after being at USC/in the Big 10.

4 1
        tanute3
        Participant

What would Morgan learn from Lincoln? How to establish a culture of hard work and toughness? (No) How to develop a defense that beats the p**s out of opponents? (No) How to recruit solid players along the defensive line? (No)

Xanthis
          Participant

You aren’t thinking beyond the defense. All of those questions you just asked Scalley already knows how to do. Scalley has few connections outside of the Utah program. Coaches talk to each other and he could learn valuable skills about different offenses. If Scalley really is going to be a HC it wouldn’t hurt him to expand on his offensive knowledge / potential coordinator connections.

Problem is he isn’t guaranteed anything beyond a year and nice paycheck at USC. None of us know when Whitt is going to retire and it might be a few years. Is it worth it to Scalley to uproot his family and potentially start job hopping if things go south at USC? I would assume no or he might have done it already.

Charlie
            Participant

Actually college DCs spend a lot of time learning about the other side of the ball. That is why you see so many HCs innovate the other side of the ball relative to their experience. Networking can be done without the need to be on the same staff. Bouncing around can have its advantages but also has disadvantages. If I was Scalley, I would value the likely path he has at Utah to become the HC. Here, he has money in his bank account to carry him thru a bad year, at USC he starts with zero. That and USC is a turnover machine. Last, some people really do like their alma mater, thank god.

2 1
          Utah
          Participant

Maybe he can watch a coach who can actually have an effective offense? No offense to Whitt, but offense ain’t his bag baby.

If you can’t see the value of working with Lincoln Riley for a few years AND coaching in the Big 10, facing Ohio State, Michigan, Penn St, etc…then I don’t know what to tell you.

He’d recruit with other coaches. He’d make connections with people who have connections at schools we don’t get a lot of kids from. He’d get in closer with some HS coaches in So Cal that we don’t have access to. He’d see how Riley runs his offense, he’d learn what he likes about what Riley does vs what he doesn’t.

Hell, when Whitt retires, it’s widely believed that Ludwig is going as well. Scalley would meet a whole team of offensive coaches who are a part of a very successful offense. Maybe there is a coach there that would come back with Morgan as OC?

I mean, there’s a million reasons why this would help Scalley.

And when he was hired as Utah’s HC, he’d be a much better coach because of it.

Don’t listen to this “stay in the boat” bulls**t. The more you can expand your mind, the more you can be exposed to different ideas and ways of doing them, the more see the flaws in your original thinking and the better coach you can become. Scalley has been with Whitt since he left HS. There is more football knowledge out there than Whittingham Educational Teaching Schools (or WETS as we refer to it).

And let’s be real…most coaches that have left that school haven’t done too well apart from Whitt, except Jay Hill.

3 1
      utefansince79
      Participant

Morgan has been around enough to observe that USC is very impatient and any coach that doesn’t get a Natty in a few years is sent to the curb.

PlainsUte
      Participant

Scalley basically owns USC so would that make him self-employed?

belli1976
      Participant

He should talk to Kiel.

TxUte
      Participant

What, is Utah going to guarantee Morgan the HC job after leaves for SC?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.