Next:
TCU @  Utah
ESPN

Thoughts on the season

Donate in the 2024 Fundraiser! Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Thoughts on the season

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      ProudUte
      Participant

We did not come out as strong as most of us (including me) expected.  BYU beat us fair and square,  They won in the trenches and simply punched us in the face.  We were not ready for them and you knew it would happen eventually.  I am honestly not too bothered with that game.

Now, the SDSU game is another story.  We were again beaten in the trenches.  A kickoff return for a TD turned that game around.  I was not super impressed with our play against WSU either, but it was better.

We had a two-week break and then our Oline and the entire offense started to click and has been clocking since.

Last year was a mess for the Utes in so many ways.  We had Covid issues off and on all season.  We played 5 games, we didn’t have a bowl game to give us extra practice.  We decided to bring in a new QB who although experienced, was not experienced with this team or system.  We have a very young Oline.  They had not practiced much together and we had fall camp injuries with the line.

We started the season badly.  Our offense has improved significantly.  They are looking nearly as good as the 2019 offense IMO.

I think that our offense’s lackluster start to the season had a lot to do with, the short season in 2020, no bowl game prep, new qb, injuries, and young line.  The offense has started to deliver.

The defense has most of the same issues, but with not a lot of experienced players.  Our only 2019 starter who is back is Lloyd.  I hope that experience will bring these guys along and I look forward to a better D in 2022.

Go Utes!

Crazyforu
      Participant

Yep, everything you mentioned is so important to keep in mind. Especially considering how many transfers are playing big minutes. Teams don’t just immediately gel.

I think this really is the perfect season to illustrate that those out of conference w/l games don’t matter (not counting the playoff) when it comes to league play. Yes, I think we all wish the record looked a little different, 4-1 at this point in conference is about as good as I think anyone would have expected, before the season started.

A couple more thoughts. If I showed you the schedule before the season and said Utah would be 4-1, 5-3 overall at this point, would be funny to pick which games would be losses. Certainly not Oregon St, San Diego St, and BYU. 

Point being, I think this is probably the most learning on the fly I have ever seen a Utah team do. Keep in mind the obvious that this team has gone through, the horrific loss of a teammate mid-season, your starting QB literally quitting after week 3, not to mention just overall struggles of starting with a dissapointing 1-2 record. In addition to that, with Wazzu, USC, and AZ State looming at that point. 

To not only come together as a team after that, but to be 4-1 after the horrific start, and seeing the maturity of the QB spot, Oline, and Tavion Thomas, is pretty miraculous.

I might have recency bias, this is the most impressive in-season coaching I can remember at Utah though.

HoosierUte
        Participant

But if you had to be 5-3 at this point but could pick the losses… I don’t think you change anything. You cant lose to Weber, and conference games are just night and day more important than non-con G5 games. 

MFury
      Participant

The youth of our team – beyond the line – is a bug theme for me.

They are talented, have played lights out against ASU and UCLA. But with youth comes inconsistent performance.

I still expect Nov WTF game. But the future is so bright.

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

The WSU win may have not been impressie, but WSU at certain points has been better than we thought. 

chinngiskhaan
        Participant

We beat WSU without their most important offensive player though. That needs to be kept in mind.

Crazyforu
          Participant

You are right, that should be a loss.

Adversely, our losses to San Diego St and the Y were without our most important offensive player, so…..

chinngiskhaan
            Participant

Not at all what I am inferring. Just saying the game would have been harder if they had him. Is that not true?

Crazyforu
              Participant

Who the hell knows, its a complete unknown! That is why the games are played. Also, injuries happen. Remember what happened at the end of 2019? Utah such a solid team, injuries absolutely deralied the P12, and Alamo Bowl games. Sure, I think Utah could have competed better, who knows though. And again, injuries happen.

3 1
      Trailgoat
      Participant

The coaches have been through a lot as well. Coaches are asked to be the rock for the team and deal with all they’ve been through on their own time and get the team prepared to play football. Before the ASU win, KW looked run down. He looks and sounds way better now even after the OS loss. He knew that OS loss was a couple of maybe bad play calls and execution in the Red Zone. Turn around the next week and completely dominate UCLA picked by many to win the South and P12. Utes are in a good spot to finish strong. Next two weeks are critical for no let down performances. Utes should beat Stanford and UofA no problem if they play their game. Man, if the Utes win the next two games that Oregon game at RES is going to be on fire!

MDUte
        Participant

Great posts everyone, totally agree! We’re hitting our stride and I couldn’t be more excited about this year’s team and the coaching job Whitt and staff have done. With our remaining schedule, I’m most concerned about Stanford. I realize they’ve lost 3 in a row and are down. But David Shaw is an excellent coach. And, like Whitt, he always has his team ready for a fight. Their team is going to be hungry for a win and similar to OSU a few weeks ago where they know they’ve got the #1 team from the South coming to town. We’ve got the bullseye on our backs again and we’ll certainly take Stanford’s best shot.

Keys to the game: Stanford’s rushing defense has been terrible this year. So assuming our OLine continues to establish control upfront, we should be able to pound the rock down their throats all night long. And if so, we should be in great shape. Tanner McKee is a really good QB IMO and one that we don’t want to get hot. I think the key for us defensively is to dial up the pressure on McKee and give our young secondary better opportunities to make plays because they’re going to get tested. I expect a hard fought game. I’ll take a win any way we can get it…win on Friday and we close the door shut on the South! Go Utes!!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.