Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

Thoughts on Utah Sports Radio?

Welcome Cowboy Fans Forums Misc Thoughts on Utah Sports Radio?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      ColumbiaUte
      Participant

Who do you all listen to for sports content and University of Utah insights? I moved to Austin two years ago for my masters at Texas and I will still listen to Utah sports radio in podcast form. I also listen to them to as background noise while I drive. I know both stations are not perfect but the fact there are two major stations dedicated to sports in Salt Lake is massively impressive (There is only one here in Austin AFAIK for the University of Texas and it’s not as organized/extensive as KSL or ESPN).

Bill Riley was fine but seemed to get defensive whenever someone disagreed with him. I can’t do OC for some reason and Spence Checketts is hit or miss for me. Same with DJ/PK and Hand and Scott.

Thoughts? Anyone go anywhere for content?

EagleMountainUte
      Participant

YouTube usually for me. Journalism is dead. Sports journalism, game journalism and especially just regular ole journalism.

Sports boards, friends or YouTube has the best content.
      I wouldn’t trust Checketts to tell me what the weather is outside the stadium. OC is awful.

Maybe I am just get off my lawn old guy now. I just have zero trust in them.

8 1
        The Miami Ute
        Participant

Eagle, I was with you on YouTube until the guys at Utah Utes Football Digest started deleting my comments questioning Rising’s return last season and telling me I had a negative attitude because I didn’t drink their Kool-Aid. I will watch Locked on Utes because JT Wistrcill will occasionally push back on things he disagrees with that are going on with the program. All of the other channels seem to be run by fanboys and homers. I don’t think I’m far off in saying that this is the best site currently to get Utah info and interact with other fans.

EagleMountainUte
          Participant

True I remember when you had that happen. I haven’t had a problem with him ever. Honestly haven’t been listening to a lot of his comments.

I just say YouTube because you just get clips with content usually from camp interviews. I don’t need to read some article give me a visual I will watch it.

Comments are what they are sometimes. I wouldn’t be mad if Tony or some admin deleted my stuff. I think it happened once before on Utehub and on YouTube. People were sick of the Rising discussions and just chose to cope.

OmahaOmaha
        Participant

Regarding hard hitting journalism being dead — truer words have never been spoken.

AlohaUte
        Participant

The problem I have with the YouTubers is it just seems like a few folks with no real connection to the program. I don’t feel like it’s any different than just a few fans sitting around the house chatting football. That’s fine and all, but I really like more meat.

EagleMountainUte
          Participant

Do the media guys have connections? I mean be honest? They are spoon fed material as if they are insiders.

Onlyu is more reliable and thought provoking than all of the radio hacks combined.

Tednab
      Participant

I’ll occasionally listen, Hans is the most tolerant to me and I like his break down videos. he does a tremendous job at it. Other than that, I find I get more substance from here than anywhere else without all the BS.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

I enjoy both stations. Hans is a good football analyst and tells it like it is (no blue goggles). He and Scotty G are great together. Checketts is a good interviewer and has good guests. DJ and PK are a fun listen. We are lucky to have both.

Central Coast Ute
      Participant

I agree with Eagle on Checketts. He’s mostly a basketball guy anyway. I also agree with Miami on Utes football digest and Locked on Utes. I listen to Locked On probably every day. I don’t get anything breaking there, but he’s a good kid and discusses things that are already in the news. Most of the rest of the YouTube channels are fan boys without any inside info.
      UteHub is definitely the best place to get inside info. Just look out for people like Caliman, he doesn’t know anything.

Central Coast Ute
        Participant

I also really enjoy football Friday with Hans and Scotty during the season

EagleMountainUte
          Participant

They never really have been able to pair someone with Hans but Scotty has been the best.
          I just don’t like the subtle and constant pot stirring with the same ole cliches.

Central Coast Ute
            Participant

Yeah, and it’s gotten worse recently. I noticed a change when KSL bought them. It’s either the new ownership demanding BYU get more coverage or Hans giving them more because he’s the color guy down there now.

AlohaUte
        Participant

Speaking of the “Locked on” network, I’m so over “Locked on Big-12”. So long has he continues to use the term “Expansion Big-12” everytime he mentions the Big-12 in his headlines, I won’t listen. I’m hoping that once the season gets going, it’s less stupid headlines about pie in the sky expansion and more accurate football related stuff.

Central Coast Ute
          Participant

Agreed with Locked on Big 12. That guy is a Utah hater anyway. He uses click bait titles. I haven’t listened to him for a while.

The Miami Ute
            Participant

Drake C. Toll, besides being a Baylor alum and thus having a rooting interest in an opposing team, has been hating on Utah from the moment the PAC imploded. His constant labeling of KW as “Crazy Uncle Kyle” should tell you all you need to know about his credibility.

ProudUte
      Participant

When I am out in the car, running errands, I turn on sports radio. Riley was ver good but a bit too much of a Utah homer. OC is okay, he will have to find his style going forward. Spence rubs me wrong. He is a know-it-all. No one can disagree with him. Also, he is an NBA guy first and I just don’t care much for the NBA anymore.

DJ and PK can be fun to listen to. DJ just says it like he sees it. PK becomes annoying at time with his stique. But, when he takes it seriously, he has some interesting insights. Hans knows football and is totally honest. I find it interesting that BYU fans often see him as a Utah homer because he tells the truth about BYU football. I like it when Hans gets into the details of the game. Some radio guys spend too much time on the emotions of the game.

I think we have a good group of sports radio guys, but not great. The sad part is NONE of them including Riley knows anything about what happens behind closed doors with Utah football. Riley often does not know who will be starting until minutes before the game. This is obviously not his fault. Whitt just keeps everything close to the vest.

EagleMountainUte
        Participant

Honestly wish there was content that is just about the game. Breakdowns of the sport itself.

I really get sick of recruiting, smack talk, all of the other stuff. I wouldn’t mind paying for content just about actual break downs of the game being played. Hans videos during the season are the best.

I just don’t care about all of the other fluff because their opinion on stuff like that isn’t valid anymore. It is demonstrably bias.

Dallas
          Participant

I would love to see breakdowns of plays, like Hans does, but much more of them. You’d think that wouldn’t be hard to do for anyone who has played at the collegiate level. I’d love to see breakdowns of how OCs and DCs strategize against each other.

EagleMountainUte
            Participant

I would pay for content on full game breakdowns of Utah games. Call it Film Room or something. That is what I want. I am not educated enough so former player rotating each podcast would be so good.

If I had one self serving super power I would want to be a fly in the room of when the team does film breakdown.

The Miami Ute
              Participant

Eagle, I believe if you had that superpower you might lose interest in the team. No one really likes to know how sausage is made.

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

I used to listen to sports radio, but the screaming heads of sports talking eventually got old to me. I’ll only listen to pre and post game now. No tv. No radio. Just listen to music instead.

NVUTE
      Participant

Random Question? I have been out of Utah for a while now. Moved to Northern Nevada in 2013. What ever happened to Kyle Gunther? He seems to have just disappeared.

ColumbiaUte
        Participant

So if someone actually knows they can correct me. But I believe he was on a third radio station (crazy to think we had that many) on 1320 KFan. I think once that dissolved, neither of the remaining stations wanted him.

Central Coast Ute
          Participant

He went to ESPN 700 for a few years and worked with Ben Anderson. They replaced them both with Checketts, for some reason.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.