Utah @  Houston
ESPN+

Time for a reset

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Walkman
      Participant

It’s time for a reset –

Reset expectations that is – The hype had us believing playoffs or bust and I think that is why I have been so disappointed for the last two weeks.

What I learned last night is that it is time for me at least to revise my expectations – I think at this point what will make me more content this season is watching us build for the future. Going into the year I thought the future was now – that’s what the expectations led us to believe – but it has become obvious to at least me that it’s time to invest in the future. Invest in Issac – invest in guys who can help us both this year and next.

I don’t think I really want to see Cam play that much more – he was a shadow of himself last night – I think we have seen his best and he doesn’t have those skills right now – he was one of our greats – emphasis on WAS.

Let’s get behind a team led by Issac – lets hope the coaches don’t jerk us around any more with false narratives – let’s just move forward.

We just lost to the pre-season last place team – we had all sorts of chances to win but blew it with the wrong personnel, bad coaching decisions and terrible late game penalties.

We are what we are which is average – not conference championship material – we are average

UteThunder
      Participant

The coaches are very unlikely to do this. Playing for the future would mean not just benching Rising, but also playing younger players over other upperclassmen. And if we do that, we go from average to bad.

Xanthis
      Participant

There is no building for the future in college football. The roster tuns over too much and you can’t expect day 1 starters to even be on the team next year. Rising should be done, but other than that you aren’t replacing anyone.

Ted Lasso
      Participant

I don’t think you should punt on the season just yet. I think you gotta start Wilson the next 2-3 weeks and try to get Cam completely healed up. If Utah wins the next 2-3 games and you got a healthy Cam, I think you have to play the quarterback which gives you a better chance to win now, which I believe to be Cam. Utah just has to keep playing one week at a time, because you never know what will happen. Utah’s second pac-12 championship run was a very unlikely one, but they were somehow still able to sneak into the pac 12 championship. You never know what will happen.

UteBacker

Too many things to fix, Lasso. We’re done.

PhillyUte
      Participant

Every year Kyle mentions how this is the deepest and most talented team he’s ever had. Yet, we lose after bye weeks, lose to rookie coaches, haven’t won a bowl game since 2017, can’t score in the red zone, have no offensive creativity, no semblance of a run defense, and mediocre recruiting.

2 1
        Utah#1
        Participant

Whitt is to blame for the false narratives he’s been putting out there and then, goes to radio silence the past two years with injuries that IMO have negatively impacted the team’s psyche. I wouldn’t doubt it if players wanted to speak out against Whitt’s better judgment because behind the scenes they themselves want to know what QB is really going to be playing so they can all be in sync and prep for games hopefully giving them a better chance to win, but Whitt has ruined that to keep opponents guessing. Welp, that isn’t going to work anymore having lost two games in a row and if he has no back plan or can’t make adjustments on the fly. Other teams are figuring out ways on how to beat Utah and ASU did it with their young coach last night. Tells me Whitt is father time and his coaching is becoming a thing of the past.

RUUTES
      Participant

Here is what is helping me reset (or perhaps become disaffected). We have not won a bowl game since 2017. We have not won a bowl game since 2017. We have not won a bowl game since 2017.

I’m of the belief that if I remind myself of this enough, I can see through all the pre-season hype and more objectively assess the talent we have on the field and stem some of my disappointment in the last two weeks as I remind myself that we really haven’t seen a Miracle season since 2008.

HATUman
        Participant

The problem is that we only have a very small sample size. 60 minutes 12 times a season. No access to practice or scrimmages for us or the media. No one to temper the expectations placed by the head coach and his narrative. Of course he’s going to tell us they are great, if they weren’t his job is on the line. Whereas an experienced media member might be able to see the team for what they are and temper our expectations.

Utah5410
      Participant

The bowl game thing. Other than the Rose Bowls. Do not matter to me. We lost half of the team now between the end of the year and the bowl game. I mean. Who cares.

SteelUte
      Participant

Bowls used to matter- to the players, and when you take them as a preseason exhibition game, you’ll feel better as a fan. I agree with the reset mentality though. I personally get so hyped up with the “most talented team” comments, and when we lose it takes a minute to adjust- when we lose two I’m done. I can watch with no expectations.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.