Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

Top Secret Info.

Welcome Cowboy Fans Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Top Secret Info.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      bopahull
      Participant
      Utesbyfive
      Participant

Well, HIPAA is a thing.

KoolWhitt
        Participant

HIPAA pertains only to specific covered entities and business associates of covered entities. It does not apply here. 

My guess is that this is simply a gesture to keep Covid issues consistent with normal team protocols regarding injuries, i.e. we don’t discuss the physical status of any player unless an ailment is season-ending.

I’ll show you a covered entity.

Utesbyfive
          Participant

Peoples health privacy is a thing. How would you feel if your school or employer told the world if you had COVID?

Assuming that the school will follow all guidelines as far as decisions of when to play and when to cancel games, are you against giving these students their privacy?

KoolWhitt
            Participant

I absolutely agree that we should respect people’s privacy when it comes to health conditions. That said, HIPAA does not mean that no one, at any time or for any reason, can tell anyone else about someone’s health or treatment. It is limited to specific entities. 

Reporting on Rudy Gobert’s Covid diagnosis minutes after that OKC game was shut down was not a violation of HIPAA. Listing “DNP – flu-like symptoms” on a box score is not a violation of HIPAA. if you tell me that you have Covid, I can tell other people; it’s not very nice, but it’s not a HIPAA violation.

Sports teams do this all the time. Usually only once they have to, but that is generally to avoid giving opponents a strategic advantage (and yes, hopefully it is at least in part out of respect for the player’s privacy) but it is not a HIPAA thing.

Utesbyfive
              Participant

Ok, we get it, HiPAA doesn’t apply here. No need to be quite so pedantic.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.