Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

Two game time pet peeves.

Welcome Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Two game time pet peeves.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

First let me preface by saying I love the tailgating and it adds so much to game day excitement and getting our fans to meet and interact. Also I think it’s great when our tailgaters invite the visiting team fans to hang out before the game (Tony is the best).

Now the pet peeves:
      1. Get to the game before it starts!! I’ve had season tickets since the early 70’s and every year the stadium is half full at kickoff. Tailgaters being some of the worst. Leave 15 minutes earlier.
      2. If you’re going to eat at the game get there early!! Food lines block the traffic flow and have 20 minute lines when the game is starting.

Let’s all go Lombardi time and get there 10 minutes early. Go Utes !!

W16Ute
      Participant

Haha… Every single game, during the flag ceremony, I say, “Where is everyone?” My wife rolls her eyes at me every time.

Why pay so much money and show up after kick off?

ProudUte
      Participant

When I was a kid, my dad took us to the stadium 90 minutes before game time. So, I learned early in life to arrive early for the games.

utefansince79
      Participant

I pay lots of $$$$ (at least for my modest income it is a lot) and we are there well before the start of the game. We then stay until the end no matter what the weather is like or the outcome of the game. Why pay all that cash then not watch the entire performance?

Curious to me too is that many of the tailgating crowd make such a long day of it, 12 hours or more is not uncommon, but make it to their seats well after kickoff, then often leave well before the end.

chinngiskhaan
      Participant

My grandparents used to take me to TSPP games every week. For basketball games we were always there before the scoreboard was turned on. The only time I’ve been less than 30 minutes early to any sporting event is if I had a previous event that was more important.

5 1
      Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

I just had a senior moment. Why doesn’t someone get a siren or blow horn and give a 15 minute warning to start packing up 45 minutes before game. Then another 30 minutes before the game as last call to leave. I’ve left tailgating many times 30-40 minutes before game time and only seen a handful of people leaving or gone. Let’s transfer the excitement to the kickoff.
      PS: if you’re too drunk to walk you probably should stay in the parking lot and not irritate fans that want to watch the game. ( I am a tea toddler myself but in moderation)

beaslad
        Participant

Uhh do you mean teetotaler?

beaslad
        Participant

Uhh do you mean teetotaler?

Tony (admin)
        Keymaster

The last year or two of the cannon they fired warning shots to remind people to head down.

BleedsRedUte
      Participant

I’m 82 years old now and have a hard time attending games, even though I love the excitement of being there in person.

When I was younger and attending football games with season tickets, It really ticked me off when the game started and there were still fans inching down the row and blocking views of some great plays as they went by. Then there are the fans that after a few minutes have to go back by you to get some snacks, etc.. that they forgot in their lateness.

Get off my lawn! Hee Hee.

GameForAnyFuss
      Participant

Interestingly, the people who arrive midway through the 1st quarter are also the same ones who leave at the end of the 3rd quarter if the game is a blowout. It’s weird. It’s like they show up to check a box on their to-do list or something.

Here’s an idea (it will never happen, just wishful thinking): Make seating a free-for-all starting 10 minutes after kickoff. Any seat that’s not being sat in is up for grabs. The SRO folks can come get that 15th-row seat on the 50 if nobody’s in it. I bet that would get the late arrivers there on time.

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

I usually get there about 15 min before kick. It’s hard to “time” when to start tearing down the tailgate. I stay until the clock strikes 00:00 no matter what the score is. It’s so easy for us to get home. My car is the right next to the north entrance of the tailgate lot. I drive 5 feet and I’m on the road.

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

My pet peeve by the way is/was the crowds in the concourse, especially due to food lines. They fixed that a bit with the new line design last year (or was it two years ago?). It’s a little better. I don’t go to the concessions if there’s football. I don’t miss a play while I’m there. But the wife or boy don’t mind snagging me something so I don’t miss anything.

1 3
      loyter
      Participant

Ok grandpa, let’s get you to bed.

1 1
      Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

It’s amazing to me the obsession with food. Food always trumps the game. I sit on an isle and I stand up three or four times a game for the same people leaving and coming back with more food. Usually 3rd and 1 blocking your view. The same people come late and leave early. Whew that felt good to vent. It’s all good. Go utes!!

Maybe I should sneak in a couple mini bottles to calm the nerves.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.