Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

Uh, NFL kickoff?

Welcome Forums Professional Sports NFL Uh, NFL kickoff?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

Happened to watch a few minutes of tonight’s KC/Baltimore game. What in the living hell is going on with the kickoffs now? Bizarre.

AlohaUte
      Participant

Been in a hole all off-season, eh?

Utesbyfive
        Participant

I just heard about it last Sunday. It will be a college rule soon.

Tony (admin)
        Keymaster

Yeah I don’t pay much attention to the NFL. So what, the kicking team can’t start running until the receiver catches the ball? And the kicker is at the 35, but the rest of the team is somewhere else? Is that the gist?

RedUte14
          Participant

no, if it gets kicked in the endzone they start at the 35. more rules apy

RedUte14
          Participant

Any kick into the landing zone must be returned.
          If the ball is kicked short of the landing zone or out of bounds, it will automatically be placed on the receiving team’s 40-yard line.
          Any kick that hits the landing zone and then bounces into the end zone must either be returned or downed, so teams can’t just let the ball bounce into the end zone and get an automatic touchback if it hits the landing zone first. If the return team downs the ball in the end zone, it goes to the 20-yard line.
          If a kicker booms one out of the back of the end zone on the fly, the return team gets the ball at the 30-yard line. Under previous rules it had been placed at the 25-yard line, so it’s penalizing kicking teams another five yards if they kick the ball out of the end zone.
          A kick that lands in the end zone and then bounces out of bounds or is downed by the receiving team will be placed at the 30-yard line.
          Teams can only attempt onside kicks in the fourth quarter, and they have to declare they are doing it to the officials, which takes away the surprise element.

Tony (admin)
            Keymaster

Wow that’s.. complicated it seems. What happens on a full moon on February 29th on a leap year?

utahwingman
      Participant

Also mean Britain Covey becomes more valuable to the team since he has more chances to take it back.

utefansince79
      Participant

How does Randy Marsh (inventor of Sarcastic Ball) feel about these changes?

ProudUte
      Participant

I like the change because it adds more strategy to the kickoff returns. But, it’s new, so I might change my mind after I have had a better chance to see it in action.

utefansince79
      Participant

I don’t care for taking the ‘surprise onside kick’ out of the game

bopahull
      Participant

Looks like we’ve actually had great NFL kickers on our team for quite some time, we just have never appreciated them.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.