Arizona @  Utah
ESPN

Under Center

Beat Arizona Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Under Center

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      kmc165
      Participant

Someone on 700 said Isaac didn’t take a single snap from under center against OSU. Even when it was a clear running play late in the 4th quarter when we couldn’t afford a fumble.

Does anyone know why this was the case?

UtesRule
      Participant

Nope! They asked IW this question after the game Saturday and he literally said he didn’t know why.

kmc165
        Participant

Our program is so secretive about QB play, the QBs don’t even know why they are doing what they are doing.

SteelUte
      Participant

I thought that same thing- 4th and 4 and he’s deep in the gun.
      It worked for the most part, and I’m not sure if he’s just not as familiar being under center.
      Do we have any Corner Canyon folks on here? Did he play any under center in high school?

Rick Walker
        Participant

No corner canyon rarely runs plays under center, last year was the first year I really ever saw them utilize their backs and not just shotgun pass every play. I’m sure it was mostly to do with what he’s comfortable with. Or like others have said, just something to go along with the game plan.

EagleMountainUte
      Participant

It is the case.

Wilson was asked in post game by 700. He basically said it was what Ludwig wanted. Wilson said it must have been for Rising or something along those lines.

Wilson also said he was notified 20 minutes prior to kickoff about the start. So imagine the scheme was for Rising.

Whitty
        Participant

I don’t disagree here, but seems like Cam runs quite a few plays from under center. So would be a bit odd if the entire gameplan for Cam didn’t have a single play under center. But who knows

ProudUte
          Participant

I heard that Cam could not take snaps under center because of the pain that it caused his finger. However, this does not explain why Isaac could not take snaps under center.

Charlie
            Participant

Actually makes sense. In practice they will not run the same play both ways. They get the flow down and don’t change for any given play. A shotgun snap is much more friendly to hurt fingers.

2008 National Champ
      Participant

Now that you mention it, I don’t remember a bad snap this year. If that’s correct, Kump has been doing an excellent job and there’s no reason to change away from what is working.

When Maile and Ford were as likely to make the QB jump as they were to throw a two-hopper, absolutely get under center and play it safe.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

I’m sure with two injured fingers under center snaps would hurt.

Matt
      Participant

With the wide formations Utah was running plays from it improves the rushing angles when the QB is in the shotgun and the RB is in the pistol. Essentially makes it easier to find the running creases.

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

Perhaps just avoiding the dreaded mishandlling of the under center snap.

Red Rhino
      Participant

I’ve heard the Shotgun is better for shorter qb’s, in helping them to see the way the defense is set up. It’s also better for mobile qb’s. Not sure if this is why. Just a guess.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.