Next:
Utah @  Arizona State
ESPN

Underrated and overrated.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Underrated and overrated.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      EagleMountainUte
      Participant

Kyle Whittingham is on which list?

I don’t agree with Peterson being on the underrated. I don’t believe he is overrated but he gets respect. 

Funniest line:

I’m probably a little jealous [of Lane Kiffin]. If you’re born on third base, that’s great, but don’t think you hit a triple.”

underrated.  look at Kyle.  The man NEVER sits on his success.  He wants to win it all.  He takes risks.  He thinks about how to recruit given our inland, small population.  He gets better generally every year.  He is a great manager of a program.  He uses research/ performance metrics to drive strategy, not just ‘gut. His teams play $#% hard.  I have thought long and hard and have decided that while kyle is not perfect, he has a broad number of exceptional qualities.  Mount rushmore quality.  With Ron.

Utah
        Participant

So much this. I think the program takes a step back when he leaves. It’s too hard here with the culture and recruiting. I think Gary could keep us going and I’d love to see Scalley go be successful as a HC somewhere else, then I’d be 100% behind him keeping it going. 

2 4
          noneyadb
          Participant

Meyer did just fine here, I’m sure other coaches can as well. Love Whitt and what he’s done, but similar to the AD hire staying in house doesn’t allow you to get the best option available. Utah really needs a recruiting guru. Cristobal has 15 4* recruits committed at Oregon so far, that’s what Utah needs to continue to compete in this league.

Preach brother, preach

UtahUtesRock
            Participant

I think it could happen of course it could also go the way of Giacoletti and Boylen and then having to dig the program back out over a course of years. 

7 1
            RiseasUtes
            Participant

So ignorant.  Why doesn’t AZ, Colorado, AZ St, Cal etc get 15 4* guys?  Oregon has Nike $$, they get more attention by the media, they aren’t located in Utah.  The fact we get the kids we get is pretty impressive.  We are out recruiting half of the Pac12 and we have only been in a big conference for 7 years.  Most those schools have much bigger markets also, so we are out recruiting what our standard should be.  Some people are just irrational with their expectations.

noneyadb
              Participant

Ignorant? There’s a gap and it’s widening like the f**king Grand Canyon… If Utah fans are fine with being middle of the PAC then by all means continue to keep the position in house and carry on. Utah needs better recruiting. Currently ranked 110th in the nation. They need somebody with ties to Florida (AGAIN) but I guess that didn’t work out very well last time…

chinngiskhaan
      Participant

Lol at the Saban comment. Absolutely hilarious!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Check out the list of “cleanest” programs. A couple of real head scratchers there. How is Kyle not on that list. 

EagleMountainUte
        Participant

Yeah I saw that list. I want to say it is because he picks up projects and it may upset people. Carrington, Bernard. Also because the media is so inept in this market they also miss the indiscretions of the players. Not that Whitt doesn’t tuck it under the rug but he mostly handles punishment internally for his guys.  

Utah
        Participant

I think it is because he hasn’t won anything yet. Once we in the PAC-12, he will be the most underrated coach and on the cleanest program list. If you look at the cleanest list, all have won something except Bohl and he spent a lot of time at Nebraska (friends everywhere) and won a title in FCS. 

Whitt isn’t there yet. If we win the PAC-12 this year, he will be on there. If this was done in 2009, he’d be on there. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.