Unpopular Take

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Unpopular Take

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      15 1
      TX_UTE
      Participant

I will admit that I haven’t watched the game yet as I DVR’d it, but having said that, here’s a potentially unpopular take on the loss to AZ after reading about the game and several related Ute Hub posts:

First, Utah always seems to have at least one “WTF” loss per season, with the exceptions of 2004 and 2008, and in 2008 there were games that were closer than they should have been or could have gone the other way. Please remember that these are young men and while a coaching staff can preach “don’t believe the hype” it’s hard when everyone is showering you with praise. We learn a lot more from our failures than our successes.

Second, playing a true FR as QB was bound to catch up with Utah sooner or later. Would have been a “better look” and/or “better loss” had it happened on a road game or against a ranked opponent, but the team was playing with house money winning with a true FR. Wilson will be just fine, IMO.

And third, the season is not lost. Yes, there is a lot to clean up but the bye gives the team the opportunity to do just that and an early season loss is more tolerable, ranking-wise, than a late season loss. Plus with a bit of luck the Utes could still end up in the Jerry-Dome for the B12 Championship – stranger things have happened – remember 2022?

And as always, Go Utes!

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

I don’t see why this should be titled “unpopular take.”

TX_UTE
      Participant

BC it’s not a “Fire the Coach/The season is over post” as one often sees after an unexpected loss…

TheNuschler
      Participant

Truthfully, I went into the AZ game expecting this result just on feel and not surprised the Utes are 4-1 into the bye having a true freshman at QB for 2 1/2 games. I fully expect CAM back after the bye and not terribly worried because they should be favored in all remaining games with BYU and Iowa State at home. Getting to the Big 12 Championship game is what matters, win and they should be there. There does seem to be not so obvious flaws, maybe its the way the games have been played or just the eye test. I trust Whit and the staff to have them ready when it matters.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.