Next:
Utah @  Arizona State
ESPN

upcoming utah ute’s football

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football upcoming utah ute’s football

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Mari Grace Moore
      Participant

Tyler huntly is the best there is he should really hand it off to Zack Moss more often still right?

Go ute’s I’m ready for what this season has to offer and of course for football

KoolWhitt
      Participant

If our QB was Optimus Prime, I’d still tell him to hand the football off to Moss.  Have you seen the recent pics of that dude?

Chidojuan
        Participant

If Huntley is Optimus Prime, Zack Moss is Grimlock.

Utah
      Participant

He should take what the defense gives him and not get hit. There will games that he carries it 20-25 times and he should. Just don’t get hit. 

UteThunder
        Participant

If Huntley is carrying the ball 20-25 times in a game, then either our WRs and OL suck which means he has to run for his life a bunch OR Huntley is being selfish/making bad reads on the RPO. There is no way he should be running the ball that much in a single game when we have Moss and Shyne to hand off to and with how good of a passer he is. 

Anonymous
          Inactive

Agree. This team has some weapons. If Tyler wants to grow as a QB he has to learn how to involve everyone. 

Utah
          Participant

Or the defense is taking away Moss and Covey and giving Huntley room to run. Either or. 

There will be games (Washington) where he will run 20+ times. And we win those games. 

2 6
          EagleMountainUte
          Participant

Utah loses six games if Huntley averages more than 10 carries a game. 

1 1
            Utah
            Participant

This is a crazy statement to make. Let’s say he averages 8 runs a game in 6 games. And 15 runs a game in 6 games. That’s over 10 runs a game. 

Now, If he made the right reads, we would have won a lot more than 6 games with those numbers. 

Huntkey’s number of runs isn’t what is important. What’s important is

1- did he make the right read?

2- did he fall down 1 yard short instead of getting tackled? 

That is what matters. Not “how many carries.”

tarheelute
            Participant

Agreed with BGU

I don’t believe a successful Utah strategy works with Huntley running the ball ten or even eight times a game, particularly if Moss is as good as advertised, and the offense is even average. Five or six times to take advantage of a gap, and to keep the defense honest. But consistently more than ten QB runs, will indicate a QB having to take too much of the offense load on his own shoulders, and a systematic failure with the offense strategy and game plan.

Utah
              Participant

Then prepared to be disappointed. Huntley will run the ball and run it a lot this year. 

The coaches have all said so. They’ve said “make the right read and don’t get hit”. Not, “run less”.  

Whitt wants a QB that runs. So does Taylor. It’s why Huntley won the job last year. 

Minneapolitan_Ute
                Participant

I agree. It’s not about how many times he runs, the defenses will determine this if Huntley is making the right reads. What matters is that when Huntely runs does he value avoiding the hit, sliding, and getting out of bounds, over gaining 1-3 more yards.

Stone
                Participant

Agreed. It is not the number of runs, it is the the right reads. I agree that there should not be lots of “called” runs for Huntley, but if it is an option and the defense continues to overplay Moss, then Huntley should continue to run, regardless of how many times it happens.

1 2
              EagleMountainUte
              Participant

With Shyne healthy there is absolutely no point at all for Huntley to shoulder any of the rushing carries. Yeah I understand do the read to keep teams honest and I also want a lot of improvement in the RPO. 

@tarheelute

1 1
                ironman1315
                Participant

It depends on the read. If the opposing defense crashes down time and time again and sells out to stop the RB the QB must keep it and run to wherever the defense isn’t. And if they crash down every play and Huntley has to keep it 20 times and we win then so be it. But to say he shouldn’t ever keep it is absurd.

EagleMountainUte
                  Participant

I guess I need to read again where I said never. 

……

Nope I said game plan should be less than ten carries a game. Come on @ironman1315 I think we know enough of eachothers postings by now. 

ironman1315
                    Participant

With Shyne healthy there is absolutely no point at all for Huntley to shoulder any of the rushing carries.

That’s pretty much looking like you wrote never.

EagleMountainUte
                      Participant

Finish the statement. I also said no more than ten carries. Whatevs obviously I have issues today in explaining my viewpoint. 

ironman1315
                        Participant

Yeah I understand do the read to keep teams honest and I also want a lot of improvement in the RPO.

That isn’t exactly saying you want him to do any giving on the zone-read. But, I did revisit your first post. So mea culpa there. I forgot you made that point. But, I still disagree with it, at least in part.

EagleMountainUte
                  Participant

I also will say opposing defenses want Huntley to carry it. They want to hurt him. I am not saying bounties or anything but we can’t be naive and think defenses want to tap him on the hips. 

ironman1315
                    Participant

But that’s on him to slide or get OOB and live to fight another day. Most of Huntley’s big hits against him were because he wanted a pointless extra yard. His injury hit was on him for not getting rid of the ball sooner.

EagleMountainUte
                      Participant

Watch how Huntley runs though and his vision. The guy is a determined A type personality person who wants to take contact. I just don’t think an off-season can change that. Remember when they said the same thing about Wilson. Needs to be smarter about contact especially after his brain issue. Then it became well you can’t change who he is. 

ironman1315
                        Participant

Wilson did get a little bit smarter, scorpion notwithstanding. Huntley I think can be a lot bit smarter and he seemed to be in the limited chances I have had to see him play lately.

ironman1315
            Participant

Technically, they lost 3. Oregon, WSU, Washington.

UtMtBiker
          Participant

I’d like to see Huntley rush about 5-7 times per game at the right times.  Move his average from 3.2 per carry to the 7-8 range.  That will help us a lot more than him keeping it 20 times and getting the crap knocked out of him.  Watch the Washington game. 

25 carries at a 1.9 average and he ate some serious hits.  He was lucky to finish that game.  

ironman1315
            Participant

Sacks helped to kill his rushing average

UtMtBiker
              Participant

That’s a good point.  I forgot they do that in the NCAA.  

EagleMountainUte
                Participant

I am including that in my carries. Huntley can’t take hits and shouldn’t have to. Maybe TT can change who a player is after a single season. Remember how they said in the off-season they want to preserve Wilson? Wilson was the bulldog it was his game to take terrible hits at times. I have watched Huntley’s runs and he doesn’t run well his vision is fearlessness and determination. Fear sometimes is a good thing to have. 

UtMtBiker
      Participant

Best there is on our team maybe. Probably at least 20 better QB’s in the country if we are honest. 

3 1
        Utah
        Participant

If Huntley is the 21st best QB in the country, we win the PAC-12 and are in the playoffs. 

ironman1315
      Participant

If the concern is number of carries the coaches can set up assignments that force Huntley to give it up.

ironman1315
      Participant

I just went through last year’s results. Huntley or Williams ran 10 times or more, discounting sacks, 10 times. Of those games, Utah lost 4 and won 6. They ran less than 10 twice and lost each time. Arizona is indeterminate because they combined ran for 9 but Huntley was on pace for 15 and was leading his team to a blowout win, it felt like.

I am not a statistician, but I don’t think frequency of running has anything to do with wins and losses. Much more interesting is the frequency of making the right decision.

EagleMountainUte
        Participant

If you had to bet money on Huntley staying healthy what are your odds?? What is your reasoning for having that opinion?

ironman1315
          Participant

Define healthy. Never missing a snap? Never missing a game? Not missing multiple games? Not missing multiple games in a row?

Also note Huntley’s injury last year wasn’t a result of him running. It was a result of a blindside sack that could have happened to anyone.

EagleMountainUte
            Participant

More than one game. It is amount of hits to it is style of running. He reminds me of Rg3 how he runs. Not very elusive but good enough and takes a crappy hit. Rg3 was seriously injured on a great escape before Ngata chased him down from behind and smashed him. 

ironman1315
              Participant

IDK, probably not good. But that goes for any quarterback in almost any program in almost any conference.

EagleMountainUte
                Participant

So how do a lot of QBs in a lot of conferences on a lot of teams manage to keep their guys healthy and Utah hasn’t done it since…….

Even the West Virginia QB his injury totally meaningless contact that he could have avoided. Huntley needs to avoid contact and hits which goes for every qb but it I a genuine concern this season without Williams. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.