Next:
TCU @  Utah
ESPN

Utah brings in Sam Huard as QB2/QB3 backup

Donate in the 2024 Fundraiser! Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utah brings in Sam Huard as QB2/QB3 backup

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      MDUte
      Participant
      BD
      Participant

Haha! you beat me MD!

Maybe a mod can delete my thread – we don’t need two of them.

MDUte
        Participant

Haha, no worries BD! Love that you’re tracking things as intently as I am! Now we just need another CB, WR, and RB (and any other high impact dude who wants to come along for a CFP ride!)….Go Utes!!!

MDUte
          Participant

Guys, say whatever you want about Huard not working out at Washington and going down a level to play at Cal Poly…but this kid has all the tools to be a huge star QB. 5* 98 rating coming out of high school who got beat out for the starting job by Penix, the runner up for the Heisman.

This is a huge get when considering he’s being brought in as a backup option to go along side Wilson. Huard is a massive upgrade from Rose. Unlike last year’s mess, Utah is now completely set at QB!!Just a few more dudes to bring in from the portal and let the CFP ride begin! Go Utes!!!

2008 National Champ
            Participant

Huard is an Air Raid QB and not particularly mobile. Ludwig’s schemes depend on having a QB who can make something happen with his legs when behind schedule.

That being said, I agree it’s a good pickup. As long as Huard is over the 4 pick debacle against WSU his freshman year, he provides starting experience should Rising get dinged up without needing to rush Wilson or put Rose in a position that he can’t handle.

Historically, Huard would be more like Tommy Grady when he had to fill in for BJ in ’07 than someone who has the same skillset as Rising.

BD
      Participant

I had forgotten about Huard, and had to look him up. Didn’t know that he was a former 5-star high school recruit. And, and 88 transfer rating.

This is a very good pickup for Utah!

247 link

MDUte
        Participant

I wonder if this accelerates Wilson’s timetable for having his surgery. I’d think he wants to be fully healthy and ready to go for next season which begins with Spring Ball. Now that Huard’s coming in, there’s going to be a competition for QB1 in 2025.

Edit: totally forgot we have 4* Wyatt Becker coming in next year. QB competition between Huard, Wilson, and Becker is going to be a lot of fun to follow! The future at Utah just keeps getting brighter!!

Uteanooga
        Participant

Predicted by 247 to be a 1st round draft pick. Um, yes please. I don’t think I’ll hold my breath for this though.

AlohaUte
      Participant

Gotta think he chose Utah due to an open QB competition after this season. I still think this will be Wilson’s team next year, so it’s a risk for Huard. Great pick up for the Utes!

stbone
        Participant

Wilson’s surgery is the big wild card. Who knows if Wilson will be ready to go next year.

Whitty
      Participant

Really hard to understate how big this is for the program. With the uncertainty of Wilson’s surgery and Cam’s health (recognizing he’s yet to make it through a full season without missing games), having a competent backup this year + someone to compete with Wilson in future years is HUGE. I feel much more confident about this upcoming season with this news.

MDUte
        Participant

Interesting to see the timing of Cooper Legas’s commitment coming right after Sam Huard announced his commitment to Utah. Was Cooper plan B if Sam Huard went elsewhere? In any event, I’m stoked we got Huard…great pickup to add to the QB room!

Onlyu
          Participant

This speeds up Wilson’s time line for surgery but he’s only out 3-4 months. It’s an important surgery but I wouldn’t call it major like an ACL. This is a huge win for the program. Two high upside players behind Cam with more on the way. I don’t consider Rose high upside…arm talent for sure but more to it than that.

My guess for this season is:

1. Rising
          2. Huard
          3. Rose
          4. Wilson (Redshirt)

If somehow Wilson decides to opt for no surgery (don’t think this will be the case) I believe he likely takes the 3 at some point before seasons end.

Next year:

1. Huard or Wilson
          3. Rose
          4. Becker

2008 National Champ
            Participant

The problem with your next year scenario is why would Rose stick around to be QB3 for another year? I’d say it’s more likely to be Huard/Wilson and then whichever of the two QB commits appears least likely to turn the ball over while Rose hits the portal a year later than he should have.

Uteanooga
      Participant

Great news. In terms of whether Huard fits Ludwig’s schemes- Ludwig knows how to utilize the skillset of the players he has. The playbook might be different for Huard than for Rising but if Huard can make the right decisions and deliver the ball accurately, Lud will make that work.

This pickup seems as good as we could hope for in terms of solidifying our QB room. One or two of Huard, Rose, Wilson, Becker are probably going to transfer at some point. As long as we keep the best two we should be in great shape.

Hopefully none of the backups play important minutes in 2024!

MDUte
        Participant

Good video on the transfer additions. I especially liked hearing Michelle Bodkin say that her insider told her Utah’s got a few more transfers in the works that they are very excited about. So more good news likely to be coming!

Locked On Utes: discussion of transfer additions

2008 National Champ
        Participant

Did 2023 not happen?

Ludwig knows how to utilize the skillset of the players he has.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.