Utah football and BYU basketball.

Viewing 8 reply threads

ukiyoronin
      Ute Fan
      @ukiyoronin

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

All I care about is football so yeah, I agree. I’ll be ok with it.

TruckStopTerrors
      Ute Fan
      @truckstopterrors

I would love to see some improvements in our MBB, but that comes with a lot of investment including a new coach imo. If the choice is football or basketball though, it’s always going to be football for me.

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

Basketball is 1000% easier to turn around than football. We will need some serious $$$$ to buy players if we ever want to climb out of basketball purgatory though.

3 1

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I have always been a football-first guy, even when we were great at basketball. That’s not to say that I did not enjoy basketball. I loved our teams in the 60s through the Majerus years. I admit to not following basketball so much over the last decade.

BYU has had an amazing recruiting year. We will have to see if that translates into them being able to get to the Sweet 16. They have only been past the Sweet 16 one time and that was over 40 years ago. Utah has been to four Final-Fours.

Extra Medium
      Ute Fan
      @runningreddude

College basketball is a terrible product. Who cares? I’d be fine with being a perennial top 15 team in football if it means we never win another basketball game. Being a great football school will get you in the top tier of whatever is coming next. Basketball is an after thought.

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

I disagree that college basketball is a worse product than college football. I can barely stand football anymore – there’s a 5-minute TV time out after almost every play. There’s like 12 minutes of actual action in a four hour game. The rest is replays, inane commentary, and ads. But I digress…

Even though my personal preference is basketball, I agree that it’s more important to be a great football school. Like it or not, football is king, and our football status will decide our future. BYU-Provo Campus put all their eggs in the basketball basket and their ceiling is becoming the next Gonzaga. That’s not a future I’d want.

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

When the football team secures Utah’s athletic department’s future, we’ll have all the resources needed to throw at MBB. That product will get fixed, no question. We just need to see things through with football and not let the foot off the gas pedal for a few more years.

RedRocks
          Ute Fan
          @hypodactylus

Yes, the ads are terrible; however, that is not the product.

GameForAnyFuss
            Ute Fan
            @gameforanyfuss

When it’s all packaged together, yes, it is part of the product.

D T
      Ute Fan
      @azute1

Football is King & that’s how I roll. We’re a definite CFB power, a Top-15 program.

But I don’t subscribe to prematurely crowning zoob MBB as a “power”. Jelly has yet to coach a single game & has zero experience as a college HC. He also has yet to get a single zoob player drafted.

PhiladelphiaUte
        Ute Fan
        @philadelphiaute

Correct you are D_T! Utah is a football powerhouse because we’ve been demonstrating consistency year over year. In the past decade, Utah football finished ranked in the final polls 6 times, won 5 divisional titles, and 2 conference titles. And we’re projected high in the current preseason.

On the other hand, over the past decade, ybu-p basketball finished ranked only once in the final polls, won 0 divisional titles, 0 conference titles, and only made it to the tournament three times — never making it past the 1st-Rd. That’s not exactly the resume of a “powerhouse”. And if it were, why isn’t Utah a basketball powerhouse too? After all, over that same span, Utah finished ranked TWICE in the final polls, made it to two tournaments, and winning both of our opening round games — the first of which placing us in the Sweet Sixteen. Wouldn’t that at least be a slightly better resume?

NashvilleUte
          Ute Fan
          @nashvilleute05

I’d have absolutely no problem at all with this scenario. I’d like to see our basketball program improve, but I’ll be honest, I haven’t been a basketball fan of any sort at all for the last twenty years. I follow our team’s game results, but I have only watched a handful of our basketball games in that time. My free time is too limited and basketball just doesn’t do it enough for me to spend what little free time I have on it. On the other hand, I’ve probably only missed watching a handful of our football games in the last twenty years.

As has already been noted, our success in football will drive our overall athletics program’s position in the future of college athletics. Let the zoobs crow about their success and funnel their money into basketball while we dominate in football. Everything else will sort itself out just fine!

PhiladelphiaUte
            Ute Fan
            @philadelphiaute

To be clear, I wasn’t suggesting Utah is a powerhouse basketball school. We’re not. Not since Majerus left anyway. All I’m saying is, if we’re not a basketball power, and we have a better basketball resume than the tdS, the zoobs can’t stake any claims to being a basketball powerhouse either.

PlainsUte
          Ute Fan
          @plainsute

Bingo, TSPP as a “basketball power” is all based on hype and off-season bravado, two things at which the zoobs excel. After all, how many spring football championships have they won? Show me you can make some noise in the NCAA tournament and then talk.

CityCreekUte
      Ute Fan
      @citycreekute

F**k Gordon Monson.

Utah#1
      Ute Fan
      @utebig12nattychamps

The success between the two programs is night and day. Why? Utah’s football program is a blue collar program that worked its way to the top without a billionaire’s money, at least from what I know. BYU’s billionaire donor is getting their basketball program to be respected and compete immediately in college hoops. Without that billionaire’s money, they wouldn’t be where they are today. Only time will tell if all that money paid off. I personally like the route Utah took without a billionaire donors money. In my opinion, BYU was getting left behind in both football and basketball and needed to do something in either sports to remain relevant. Utah is king in the state of Utah, and BYU seems to making moves and will make strategic moves to knock Utah off the mountain. They will try, but I believe Utah is destined to remain #1 in the state of Utah for the foreseeable future, and top 10 in the nation.

Ted Lasso
        Ute Fan
        @tedlasso

To be fair, hiring Kevin Young and bringing in a lot of NBA experience probably played a greater role. A lot of top college basketball programs have money to throw around, so it’s not like these kids chose byu because of money alone. Though money does help to your credit.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utah football and BYU basketball.