Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

Utah should NOT be struggling against USU

Welcome Cowboy Fans Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utah should NOT be struggling against USU

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      2 4
      Utah#1
      Participant

They better pull their heads out of their @$$e$! No excuse for a 19 year head coach in Whitt to be struggling this much up by only 7, with or without Cam Rising! Unacceptable! The rookie USU HC is taking it to Whitt and Utah! I believe Utah will win this USU game, BUT this is atrocious! From the looks of it, Ok St is going to wax the field with Utah and Cam Rising next week.

2008 National Champ
      Participant

I don’t think you can discount Barnes practicing against these schemes and players for 4 years.

Ute in Chatt
        Participant

This is also a rilvary game, and Utah State came to play. They have not done that well since the first quarter. Utah played way better, but still, it is the third game of the season. The secondary still needs work for sure. But we shut down the run game mostly after the first quarter.

RoboUte
          Participant

Utah and Utah state have not been rivals for decades before any of these players were born. Some were just exiting elementary school the last time they even played.

Ute in Chatt
            Participant

It isn’t as much for us as it is them, but they came to play to start and then didn’t have the horses to keep it up. 3-0 start and a good win for Issac Wilson.

1 1
              RoboUte
              Participant

Wilson crossed the rubicon of sorts into actual QB play, which is impressive given the situation (we obviously don’t enable our QBs in any way whatsoever) and his age. The coaches were at least on the right track in giving him the nod. though I’m still not sure I agree with torching his redshirt.

2008 National Champ
          Participant

Sure. But part of the problem the defense had is playing a QB with intimate knowledge of their tendencies and abilities who wasn’t afraid of challenging their corners.

Getting the plays called quickly knowing that Scalley would try to wait until the last second? Knowing which defenders to challenge and when? Barnes was able to take advantage of some things that you can’t necessarily learn from watching tape.

EagleMountainUte
      Participant

I was over reacting a bit there as well. They were fine. Clearly once they shifted gears it was over. Usu played well made plays. Credit them.

2 1
        ProudUte
        Participant

That defense will get destroyed next Saturday unless some significant changes are made.

EagleMountainUte
          Participant

Yeah agree or it will adjust and be fine then win. Yeah that can happen.

2008 National Champ
          Participant

Something definitely needs to happen with the secondary. I thought it would be a weak spot with so many new starters and now two corners are down? The next two weeks are going to be tough. After that, I’m not sure Utah faces any QB’s that can really take advantage but the margin for error is pretty much gone.

Utah State didn’t run anything the D hasn’t seen before. While it was disappointing in the moment, I think the performance against Baylor was more indicative of the D’s potential than today. So it’s just a matter of learning from the tape and executing better going forward.

BTW, I don’t know that Davis is gone for an extended period of time. I just didn’t like his body language coming off the field. From my unqualified perspective, he looked punch drunk so not so much a long-term injury but more a concern about concussion which is never good for a defender to deal with.

EagleMountainUte
            Participant

I think the defense was like ahh it’s Barnes. We know him. They took the week off and it showed. The energy wasn’t there at all.

Scalley gonna dig in this week. Sunday and Monday gonna be brutal for sure.

utefansince79
      Participant

35-7 over last 35-40 minutes or so says it all.

That said, KUDOS to our brothers up in Logan for a spirited effort.

GreatNorthernUte
      Participant

This wasnt that bad. Defense struggled against the long pass and had some trouble getting to Barnes in the first half. BUT the Aggies were constantly in third and long, and had two long receptions on throws that werent that great but the receiver made an awesome catch.

We dominated time of possession, run game, and Wilson looked good for a true freshman. Take away those two Aggie catches and this is a total blowout.

Not to say the defense had an all star day. They did not. But its not as bad as it seems.

1 1
        2008 National Champ
        Participant

do I get to take away two great Utah plays to make the comparison fair? what if I take away the Snowden pick and give Utah State that TD, as well as the long Bernard run?

GreatNorthernUte
      Participant

Okay. My point was that the actual defensive play wasnt bad on those two catches. The defense overall played well enough to make it a blowout because the offense was rolling. It didnt go that way. Oh well.

Not saying the defense played an A game, but this wasnt a C level performance on tape either.

2008 National Champ
        Participant

90% of my posts need to have an implied passive-aggressive smiley at the end. I was just making fun of the “if such and such happened differently the outcome would have been exactly what I wanted to happen.,,” trope, not you specifically. Unfortunately I’m not smart enough to make the posts not sound like I’m arguing

mea culpa

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.