Next:
Arizona @  Utah
ESPN

Utah utes losers in the Transfer Portal? Or are we?

Beat Arizona Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utah utes losers in the Transfer Portal? Or are we?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Ute in Chatt
      Participant

Transfer Portal Winners/Losers
      6 biggest winners and 6 losers from CFB offseason
      I love this and how he describes the Utah Utes and the type of players that Kyle Wittingham looks for. We may be portal losers in this one, but we look for the mean and nasty ones that everyone else overlooks. So we may get three stars to begin with, but we turn them into 4 stars. I think he is really on the fence about us being losers with the transfer portal. It’s more of a wait and see. You have to watch about 25 mins in to get to the Utes part or fast foward it.

https://bleacherreport.com/utah-utes-football

AlohaUte
      Participant

Literally the only place I’ve seen Utah listed as a loser in the transfer portal and it’s an idiotic take. We brought in way more talent than we lost via the portal.

Dallas
        Participant

Haven’t replaced JQJ yet.

Utah
          Participant

Anthony Woods is a .89 rated RB that transferred in. Jackson was rated a .92. We replaced Jackson.

Dallas
            Participant

My pessimism wants to disagree with you, but I don’t have the energy to look him up. I hope you’re right.

//r00t4Utes
              Participant

Can also say the 3 RB recruits from the 2023 class are part of JJ’s replacement

John Randle Jr. 4 star
              Dijon Stanley 3 star (89)
              Michael Mitchell 3 star (86)

Anfernee
            Participant

Does anyone know if Woods is playing this fall? I kept hearing he got injured earlier this year but never got a definitive answer.

RustyShackleford
            Participant

If he can actually play this season

AlohaUte
          Participant

I feel pretty good about our RB room. I really think either Woods ( the idaho transfer) or one of the young sophs or freshmen will breakout and become our lead back.

Woods really is dynamic. I watched a few Idaho games last season and he was clearly the best player on the field.

Anfernee
            Participant

I don’t think he’s playing this year.

Ute Dub
          Participant

It’s not a big drop off considering he got 10 runs a game before coming up lame.

22Ute22
        Participant

Right? Not to mention that he said Clemson was a winner because they didn’t lose anyone? With that logic, Utah should be a winner because we lost most of our dead weight/unproven players, while replacing them with more talented players. The only big loss is JJ, and I don’t think we have proof that we have an adequate replacement for that bell cow type of RB. Mike Mitchell could be it, but he could also not be it. Overall though, Utah certainly isn’t a loser. We might not be considered a winner because we don’t bring in as much as Ohio State or Oregon, but we certainly aren’t a loser.

Utah
      Participant

We lost one starting C, a starting RB and a DE who had limited snaps and a WR who had limited snaps. How could we be losers in the transfer portal, even if we had no transfers in? And the C, left because he was passed in the depth chart.

We had a similarly rated RB transfer in with Anthony Woods. We did not replace the C who left. The other two players, a DE and a WR, who actually played snaps for us, we replaced with:

Alford .8700
      Singer .9000
      Lyons .9000

We came out ahead. And the DE?

Fitzgerald .8800
      Vaughn .8800
      Henry Daly .8700

Again, we came out ahead.

Oh, and we added a former 5 star QB, Huard.

We did not lose in the transfer portal.

//r00t4Utes
        Participant

It sucks to lose Faaiu, no doubt, but he was only the starter last year because the starter Maea was injured (shocking, I know, injuries 2023 who knew) . So while the Utes didn’t get a xfer to replace him, they got health to replace him with the original starter.

Kinda funny that last year Maea winning the starting job also caused the previous center to xfer (to TSPP), forget his name though.

Tyler Henry
        Participant

Utah actually lost Vaughn to the portal. He was committed for a month or two.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

That podcast was unwatchable. That guy was all over the place. Our physical play is on the OL and DL line and defense. Why does our skill positions have to be physical? JJ is a big loss if he’s healthy. With Rising we can spread the field and utilize our speed more.

Our offense has become too predictable. Ludwig and Whitt need to adjust and play more of the Oregon style. Rising is capable of having a Bo Nix type of year without having to run as much.We have some fast RBs and WRs that will be hard to tackle in space.

Ute in Chatt
        Participant

I do agree with yall that he is was all over the place, but I do wonder how all the new pieces that we brought in will play Utah Style football. There was some good in there if you suffered through it. I do like how he says utah finds the gems in the rough. I just think of Eric Weddle how great a find he was. We have had several since then. I think Singer and Calhoun and a few others will fit in great after watching the spring game but i do wonder how Huard and a few others will fit in or if we got another Lousy Baylor QB named Charlie Brewer who was afraid to take a hit. .

Utah
          Participant

I’m going to be pedantic here.

Weddle would never happen today. Everyone admits to that. Weddle was a kid Whitt and his coaching staff found, got him to commit, told him if he visited anywhere else he’d lose his scholarship and basically hid from other coaches.

That would never happen today. Everyone knows that Weddle was a high 4 star/possible 5 star talent in high school. Had Weddle been a high school athlete today, he would be at camps, he would have offers from every school in the country and would not be a “Whitt-diamond-in-the-rough” kid.

Weddle was not a two star kid that the coaches coached up to a NFL safety. He was always a 4 star talent, who performed to his level and went on to excel in the NFL and retire a borderline Hall of Famer.

We were just lucky he grew up in a time when coaches could push kids around a bit and no one else really saw him play.

Same with Alex Smith. Smith would have been a four star QB if he was in HS today. He was discounted because he played with Reggie Bush and Vonte Davis (I think, some NFL TE) and Smith never went to camps. If he was in HS today, he would be at camps, everyone would see how amazing he actually is, and he’d be going to Ohio State or USC.

Utah
            Participant

Devin Lloyd, on the other hand, that is a Whitt special. Moved positions, changed his body, became a second round pick.

Kellso
      Participant

Thats funny. I’ll take that loss every year. He clearly has little knowledge of Utah football. This team is going to be one of the best we have had.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.