Next:
Arizona @  Utah
ESPN

Ute fans are a diverse group with different opinions

Beat Arizona Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Ute fans are a diverse group with different opinions

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      21 2
      ProudUte
      Participant

The website UFN was a good Utah sports site for decade or more. Then it turned into a spiteful, angry crowd, so I left that site and have never turned back.

We Ute fans have different opinions and feelings. Some say Ludwig is a genius and other hate his play calling. Some hate the black unis and other think they are great. Some say Isaac Wilson is the future of Ute football, and others question his size and ability. There have been many feelings shared about Cam Rising in the last few weeks.

I will not tell anyone how they should be a fan. We are all different. I certainly disagree with some opinions shared here, but I respect and like to hear differing opinions.

In this last week there have been many strong opinions shared and at times, some have been called out for these opinions. I do NOT want this good site to turn into what UteFans became.

The funny thing is that we are undefeated and ranked tenth in the nation. One would think that the Ute nation would be very happy. I think the stress of the whole Cam Rising injury has gotten to many of us (including me). I will try to be more respectful of the opinions that I may disagree with. I know that in some cases I am in the minority on issues concerning the Utes and I am okay with that. I can;t tell anyone how to feel.

Last week someone called me too optimistic, and later in the week someone said I was too negative. I found that kind of funny. But, both may have been true.:)

Go Utes!!!

9 2
      UTE98
      Participant

Proud, thanks for the post. I was a regular at UF.N for about 8-10 years, and saw it continue to got downhill and politics eclipsing Utah sports. I sponsored a UF.N tailgate at the UNC game in Chapel Hill. I still consider many from there to be good people and admire their passion.

With that in mind from this time forward I will not argue with others opinions. I will express my own opinions and avoid seeking to be right on issues. UteHub is a place for me to share my joy, frustration, and fanaticism with others who process it differently.

I’ll be better.

EagleMountainUte
      Participant

Optimism and pessimism is often just delusion. Joking. Or am I?

Sometimes taking internet stuff too seriously is the problem really.

Big12 is really not a very good conference so I am thinking Utah should be fine if Rising can look past a single play that risks the rest of the season.

6 8
      AlohaUte
      Participant

What made Utefans.net awful wasn’t strong disagreement over the football team or Utah sports. It’s fine for us to have differing opinions on football things and criticize each other over those stupid opinions (for instance people who think Cam should be benched and just give the team to Isaac are complete effing morons, but I also have the opinion that I’d rather play in a league with the revised Pac 12 if it includes the 4 corner schools and BYU and many found me to be a complete moron for that. That’s cool. That’s sports.

What killed Utefans and made it the cesspool of the interent was that it was hijacked by the worst of Utah fans (who are among the worst sports fans anywhere in the world) who were both strongly anti-mormon and progressive politically and brought both to the sports board. It wasn’t strong disagreement over something about football.

3 2
        homer
        Participant

UFN was reborn a few years ago and IMO is once again a good, informative site for Utah and other fans.

2 3
          AlohaUte
          Participant

I’ve been on it a few times. Glad it is cleaned up. I just don’t really dig the interface.

5 1
          ProudUte
          Participant

Yeah, my last post was when George HW Bush died. I posted that I may not have agreed with everything his did, but that he was a good man. I was attacked as if I promoted pedophilia or something awful. I have not posted there since.

I love coming here to this site to learn information and share my opinions. Thaks Tony!!!

5 3
        Utah
        Participant

What made UF.N unsufferable is there is a certain segment of our fans who can’t handle any information that disagrees with their worldview. Instead of moving on or ignoring the data presented, they fight back with feelings and name calling and trying to shut the poster down.

And those posters moved here. So, as long as you don’t say anything negative about a certain corporation, you are ok and not toxic and etc, etc, etc.

It’s not the anti-mormons who ruined that site, it’s the mormons who can’t handle facing reality.

Notweird
      Participant

These are the posts that remind us why we’re here! To be bold and understanding and passionate and to speak freely about what really unties each and every single one of us. Cam Rising. I hope that every single person who is afraid of sharing their positive opinions and fanfiction about Cam Rising know that you have a shoulder to lean on and an inbox to message in each one of us. We are here to support

Thank you Proudute

Roy Rangum
      Participant

Nice post proud.

I would add to your post that I think some conflict is good. It brings different perspectives, and, without it the message board would become super boring. The key is that the conflict doesn’t become personal. (Which is why I think discussions on religion and politics often become toxic, because those two topics tend to be a central part of someone’s personal identity.)

And I agree I’m grateful to have a place like this. Thanks Tony for making it happen.

Jim McMahon
      Participant

This really is a great site with positive interactions. I’m always amazed at how honest (realistic) you are about your team on here. And you call out your own. Much respect.

Good luck the rest of the season until Nov 9th!

Yeah, we have the second best (in college) quarterback to ever wear a Utah jersey, and a serviceable true freshman with a very bright looking future backing him up. The negativity toward this situation boggles my mind. I’d recommend watching highlights of guys like Jonathan Crosswhite and T.D. Croshaw to put things in perspective. Lance Rice, anyone?

We have a ton of playmakers on both sides of the ball.

This is shaping up to be a great season, so far.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

We aren’t even half way through the season. Maybe Rising getting hurt was a blessing in disguise. 4-0. We now have a legitimate backup and Rising will be more hungry than ever when he returns. I just hope this finger injury doesn’t linger. Arizona game has been circled on coaches and players calendars since they rubbed that last touchdown in our face.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.