Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

Vegas spread has dropped 4 points

Welcome Cowboy Fans Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Vegas spread has dropped 4 points

• This topic has 24 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Josh.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      ProudUte
      Participant

Looks like they and the betters know Cam will not be playing. šŸ™

Go Isaac Wilson!!! I hope he has a great game.

AlohaUte
      Participant

I don’t think Utah State scores, so we have that going for us.

3 1
      Utah
      Participant

Oh no! We are only a three TD favorite!!! How will we survive!!! The end is nigh!!!!

Take the over.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

Playing Wilson evens the playing field some. I think everyone else will step up and get the win for Wilson knowing Cam will be back next week.šŸ¤ž

Utah
        Participant

How does playing Wilson even the playing field? Instead of beating them 49-0 we will beat them 31-0?

We will still stomp them and this game won’t be close.

1 8
        Dallas
        Participant

Barnes > Wilson. But Utah > usu.

UteBacker

That’s funny… I read it as the spread dropped TO 4 points. I was Googling “fast HELOC loans” there for a minute.

Is anyone else exhausted from the will he/won’t he play with Cam? I think I’m done with it. I’ll just see who takes the first snap on Saturday and will be fine with it. We are a different team with Cam back there, but I’ve found myself forgetting to celebrate touchdowns because I’m trying to find Cam to see if he took a late hit that would knock him out of the game. It’s wearing me out.

5 5
      Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

What has Wilson done to make you think we can score 31? First road game and a highly motivated USU.

11-20 104 yrds 1td 2 int two full halves and two late second quarter drives.

I hope youā€™re right and there is no reason for concern. I like Wilson and think he will be good but he has to prove it at some point.

7 1
        Utah
        Participant

Because Whittingham has had a lot of s**tty QB’s and can put up 31+ points on an even s**ttier Utah State team.

Can we beat OSU with Wilson? Sure. We beat USC with Barnes. We can beat anyone with Wilson. Would it be ugly and nasty and stressful and do we probably lose? If we played OSU this weekend, probably.

But Utah State? Utah State?!? Are you kidding me? I’ve said this all week. You could put me at QB and we’d beat Utah State by 31 points.

Now, to your question: Why do I think Wilson could put 31 up on Utah State:

1 – We will run the ball 40+ times. Bernard and Stanley will average over 6 yards per carry.
        2 – USU’s defense is nowhere as good as Baylor’s. Baylor lined up and blitzed Wilson on every single play and basically said, “we will lose this game, try and beat us over the top and let’s see if we can get a turnover and make it a contest”.

Whitt countered with: “I’m not going to allow Wilson to turn the ball over because you suck and I am going to win this game by bleeding the clock, so that is what I’m going to do.”

And it worked.

USU’s defense is much closer to SUU’s. And how did Wilson do? 7/11 with a TD. He was fantastic. Yes, the first interception was bad, but we put Wilson in a tough spot and he made a rookie mistake. The second INT…the WR was open, it was just a really hard throw.

I’m not worried about either. Neither INT was “this guy sucks”. Both were “this guy has talent and is trying to do too much.”

I fully expect Wilson to throw between 25-35 times, end up around 65% completion with 250+ yards and a couple TD’s. A great game would be no INT’s. A good game would be one. A “holy hell, who is the backup” would be two.

We will absolutely dominate USU and I fully expect Wilson to look really, really solid doing it.

Jim Vanderhoof
          Participant

I hope youā€™re right Utah. Iā€™ve watched too many Ute games over the years to think anything is a given.

7 1
          Ghost of the HEB
          Participant

The narrative that we completely shut down the passing game when Isaac came in is false. The passing game shut down because it was ineffective and there were some poor throws that made the coaches pull the plug. For instance, on the drive following Baylor’s TD that made it 23-12, a Bernard run set up 2nd & 5 with 13min left in the 4th. We proceeded to throw two incompletions and punted it away. If the playbook was closed and we were just sitting on the ball we’d never throw it twice in that situation. But that was all the coaches needed to see, so next drive was 10 straight runs and a missed FG.

The point is Isaac has to show improvement this week for it not to be a low-scoring defensive dogfight (yes, it is absolutely possible for this game to be a dogfight). Getting all of the reps with the 1s this week should help.

1 2
            Utah
            Participant

I think you misunderstood me, or I wasn’t clear.

What I’m saying happened is this:

Utah tried to run their normal offense with Wilson.
            Baylor blitzed the hell out of Utah, basically saying “the game is lost, we are going to pressure you and hope Wilson throws an INT and gets us back in the game.”
            Whitt then countered with “f**k that noise, I’m just going to shut it down so Wilson can’t turn the ball over and beat you with my RB’s”.

There is no narrative from me, that Wilson came in and we shut down.

As for your last paragraph, Wilson starting a game with a 0-0 score vs a very, very bad team is very different than him coming in with a 23-0 lead. The whole experience will be completely different.

Ghost of the HEB
          Participant

x

3 3
          UteThunder
          Participant

Two interceptions against SUU is “fantastic” but two interceptions against USU will have you calling for the backup?

Yeah, this isn’t a serious take.

Utah will probably win this game, but unless Wilson all of a sudden puts it all together, or the runningbacks morph into Devontae Booker, it’s going to be a very low scoring output by the offense.

2 2
            Utah
            Participant

lol. You can’t tell the difference between a freshman in his first game ever, put into a tough situation vs a freshman who has made mistakes, had a couple games to learn and is still making the same mistakes?

Who is the non-serious one here?

And your last paragraph…lol. You give Utah State too much credit.

2 2
              UteThunder
              Participant

I can tell the difference. There’s not a coach, player, or analyst on the planet that would call Wilson’s game vs SUU “fantastic” as you did.

Utah State has significantly better talent than SUU. To think that two interceptions against a much better team is cause for concern but two interceptions against a bunch of undersized scout team players is fantastic is laughable.

And I stand by what I said. Unless Wilson suddenly figures it out or our RBs have a breakout game, our offense will struggle. Or did you not see last year’s offense?

Utah
                Participant

Alright bro.

NarfUte
      Participant

McMurphy says Cam is “unlikely” for saturday, not new info I guess.

PlainsUte
      Participant

My guess is Whitt will play it safe and have Cam suited-up but carrying a clipboard Saturday — get fully healed up for the OSU roadie. If the Wilson or the Ute defense has a major meltdown we might see Cam on the field in the second half. Otherwise Whitt won’t worry about the spread, so if I were a betting man, I might consider taking the points or the under might be even safer.

TruckStopTerrors
      Participant

Unfortunate, but expected. I hope Isaac kills it. šŸ˜€

Some dude on Reddit yesterday said Cam has not been taking reps in practice. Pretty rock solid source, no?

Anyway, if that is the case, I am excited to see what the team can do with Wilson at quarterback. I hope they set him up with some easy throws, and he makes those throws. I suspect we will also find out if we can line up and run over USU. If the O-line can push the pile 4-5 yards every play, we win.

We beat teams better than USU last year. I’m confident we can win this game. Maybe Wilson will start to get things figured out.

5 2
        ReconUte
        Participant

The problem with Wilson,that I brought up on another post, is he’s 5’10. I’ve stood right next to him and I’m 5’9. He’s a solid 5’10 not 6’0! He is going to have problems seeing over the Oline. It’s just a fact. They’re gonna have to put him in the shotgun more often that not. He’s also going to need to utilize his running ability often. The majority of his throws will have to be on the move.
        Therefore Whitt is gonna have to give him more freedom to move around and make plays and I just don’t see that happening because he wants to be conservative. Hopefully I’m wrong.

Rick Walker
          Participant

Yes Isaacā€™s height is definitely overstated. Iā€™m exactly 6ā€™0 and Iā€™m definitely taller than him. While his height is limiting weā€™ve seen plenty undersized QBs rise to the occasion, weā€™ll just have to see if Isaac is one of them. Donā€™t forget he had three lineman last year at Corner Canyon over 6ā€™4.

2 1
          Dallas
          Participant

he did have a lot of balls tipped by Dlinemen. Maybe he could wear lifts. Does under armour make those?

Josh
      Participant

I first read the headline as ā€œdropped to 4 pointsā€ and I started the process of taking out a second mortgage and flying to vegas

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.