Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

What are you hoping for on Thursday for Offense, Defense, Special Teams?

Welcome Forums Utah Utes Sports Football What are you hoping for on Thursday for Offense, Defense, Special Teams?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

Offense: Shake the rust off of Rising and Kuithe and then sit ’em in the 2nd half. Wilson playing time. See what the starting WR’s can do. See if an RB decides to make himself the #1 guy.

Defense: Keep SUU from scoring a TD. Hold them under 10. Pick six. Experience for the DB’s.

Special Teams: Good blocking schemes and execution on punt. See some good punt and kick returns.

Overall: NO INJURIES

Central Coast Ute
      Participant

Lots of passing. Even if the Utes are up by a large amount.

Utah
        Participant

This. I don’t like going conservative in games like these. These are gentlemen’s games. These are games you pay a lot of money for so you can practice vs someone other than yourself. So practice. Open the offense up. Let Rising get comfortable and then let Wilson air it out and get some real, live reps. Let’s make sure our guys’ first snaps aren’t in a tough game.

22Ute22
        Participant

Agreed. I’m also hoping that one of the WR’s lower on the depth chart (Lyons, Zipperer, and the 2 true freshman) can single themselves out.

Charlie
        Participant

Showing class is letting the opponent try to stop the second or third units, Second units do not run up a score, they simply play when given a chance and should have every opportunity than starters have.

Central Coast Ute
          Participant

Agreed. Let the second and third units in, and let them play.

PhiladelphiaUte
          Participant

This! There is no such thing as “running up the score” when…

(1) The starters have all been pulled…

(2) It isn’t the 4th-Qtr yet…

(3) You’re playing a school who traditionally likes to run up the score against their opponents…

(4) The starters are STILL in the game, it’s late in the 4th-Qtr, and you have a BIG lead, but you’re playing ybu-p — a team who’d…

…traditionally ran up the score against us if, and whenever they could, or…

…who had been beaten soundly, but their fans and/or coaches still insisted that “the better team didn’t win” (i.e. 2008 and 2011), or…

…who perpetuates the myth that “it was anybody’s game, and one that was decided in the final minutes” (i.e. every other game through 2019), or…

…how they would have beaten us, if the game had been played/if Utah hadn’t been “too scared to play“.

They need to be humbled, and humbled often.

And on that note, we might be needing to stick it to both the Kansas schools when next we meet. If they wanna act like zoobs, let’s treat ’em like zoobs. Seriously….what does this have anything to do with “Utah”???

ProudUte
      Participant

Tony, I agree with you. To add to Isaac Wilson playing – I hope he gets at least a series or two with the starters. I want to see what he can do and more importantly, I want him to be ready if he is needed later this season.

No major injuries is a big thing. I doubt Whitt cares if we score 50 points or not. He wants the guys to look sharp and play clean without any boneheaded penalties.

Go Utes!!!

ALUF
      Participant

-win comfortably to the point of seeing our depth and no injuries

-see if rising, Kuithe and Pittman and others can shake off the rust

-can our oline protect in pass and create holes on the run

-will any running back stick out, Mitchell

-is singer AZ or USC singer

-is the dline what we expect? Multiple sacks

-linebacker depth

-pick 6 by the corners and depth

-is Ritchie back to pre mission Ritchie and is tao the next Marcus Williams?

ALUF
        Participant

Copied this over from my notes app and obviously didn’t copy over properly

PhiladelphiaUte
        Participant

Agreed. If like to see how those Utes who are changing positions are adapting to their newer assignments.

3 1
      MineralUte
      Participant

Boring football. I don’t care if we only win by 10 – I’d just like to limit game film to generic offensive sets and a base defense with hardly any blitzes.

I’d hope for the same against Baylor and Utah State. I’d rather give OSU bleak game so they won’t be ready for what we can do.

DataUte
      Participant

Offense: TDs
      Defense: TD
      ST: TD

Utegator
      Participant

Do we feel like this is the year the Whitt allows a blow out? If history says anything, he’d gladly sit the starters, run the ball on every down, and walk away with a 10 point win.

Redblood
        Participant

I think Whitt was the coach when we beat them 70-7 or whatever it was.

PlainsUte
          Participant

Only played SUU twice: 24-0 (17-0 at half) in 2016 and 73-7 (34-7 at half) in 2022.

chinngiskhaan
      Participant

Offense
      – No injuries
      – success on short yardage, obvious running downs
      – A set where every player eligible to touch the ball (other than Cam) is a tight end.
      – Glover gets 15+ carries and doesn’t go down on first contact on any of them.
      – If not Glover, then any other running back breaking multiple tackles on one run.

Defense
      – No injuries (ESPECIALLY TO OUR CBs!!!)
      – 15 sacks

Special Teams
      – No Injuries
      – All kickoffs from our guy go out of the back of the endzone

Ute in Chatt
        Participant

Offense- I want it to be freaking Christmas. I want it all and want to see it all. I want points under the tree and lots of them. I want everyone getting comfortable and doing their business and then off the field. I don’t want to give away all our secrets, but let all the other teams know we mean business.

Defense- I want to see a mean and nasty line that gets after the quarterback that after the first quarter, SUU says, “we’ll not worth it and let’s put in the second string guy.” I want very few missed tackles and lots of contested balls by the secondary. A pick six would be great as well.

Special teams – I want a continue of last year where a lot of our kickoffs weren’t returnable. I want to see a few good punt returns and good field position to our advantage and not theirs!!!!

PhiladelphiaUte
        Participant

You want 15 sacks? Really? That’s nearly a full season of sacks in 1 game. If we’re getting even a quarter of that number, it’d be time to pull the 1st and 2nd strings off the field.

AlohaUte
      Participant

two things, strong passing offense and a pick-6 to get it out of the way and keep the streak alive.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.