Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

What are your “This is Utah Football” moments?

Welcome Forums Utah Utes Sports Football What are your “This is Utah Football” moments?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      UteDuke
      Participant

We all are familiar with Utah’s reputation as a defense-first, ultra physical, run first football team. I know there are times when Utah also seems to be known for things like unimaginative offenses and poor QB play. Regardless, I want to know what games, plays, players, etc. that make you say, “THIS is Utah Football.”

My first is from the 2019 game at Oregon State. Utah had gotten on a roll, but all the talk was about how Oregon St. was “figuring things out” and could be a tough test at home. The OSU QB also had the nation’s longest streak of attempted passes without an interception. He was only a handful of attempts away from setting the all-time NCAA record.

With all this in mind, what does Utah do? Not only do they absolutely demolish the Beavers from the opening kickoff, but on what would have been the OSU QB’s record setting attempt, one that has to end up literally anywhere except in the hands of a Utah defender to make history, this happens:

The Miami Ute
      Participant

2015. Utah vs Oregon. 62-20 at Autzen. I watch highlights from that game at least 2-3 times every season.

During Ron McBride’s tenure, Utah football had the reputation of basically being the Iowa of the WAC/Mountain West. The bowl game against USC (won 10-6) was a great example of one of the most “Utah” football games I have seen. Things changed after Urban arrived, but even then, there was the 3-0 game to end the 2003 season. There have been ups and downs, but the 2004, 2021 and 2022 seasons were a whole new kind of “Utah Football,” and I am excited to see if we do more of that this year. Being able to put up points puts the other team under pressure in a way that 3 yards and a cloud of dust just never will.

The opening drive of the 2004 aTm game set the stage, but the 2021 regular season game against Oregon is my pick for my favorite new-school “Utah Football” moment.

bopahull
      Participant

The 2004 team had 2 games I will never forget. The late 4th qtr comebacks against OSU and TCU. It felt like the entire stadium was going to collapse.

Yergensen
        Participant

I think you meant 2008 team. Nobody came close to beating the 2004 team.

Yeah, looking back, I have to wonder how much of Utah’s current situation hinges on that PI call on the 2-pt conversion vs OSU in 2008. Whew.

ProudUte
            Participant

Coming from behind and beating BYU 23-22 in 1978. That was the moment that I felt that Utah had started to turn the corner. The 80s had its challenges and then Mac came in and when the Utes won 34-31 in Provo, I knew things had changed.

bopahull
          Participant

I just washed my hands and can’t do a thing with them. Thank you for catching my typo. LOL

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.