Next:
Arizona @  Utah
ESPN

What do we know about Arizona?

Beat Arizona Forums Utah Utes Sports Football What do we know about Arizona?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

I haven’t watched them yet. What are their strengths and weaknesses? I know their QB is very good and some good receivers. That’s about it. What’s our plan of attack, coach?

Dallas
      Participant

People who know stuff say our priority should be sacking their QB.

Ghost of the HEB
      Participant

Key matchup will be our D vs their O. Their QB (who tore us up last year) grew up going to Utah games (two uncles played for Utah). Utah never offered him, so there’s likely some “this is personal” type approach to playing Utah. They have a big WR who averages 20yds/catch and is projected to be 1st rd draft pick. Their RB1 averages 6.1/carry and their RB2 averages 8.2.

Game-wise, here’s how things have played out:
      61-39 W against New Mexico
      22-10 W against Northern Arizona
      31-7 L against Kansas State.
      Their offense exploded against NM, wasn’t good against NAU, and was okay against K-State (despite only putting up 7, their big WR still had 11 receptions for 138).
      Our offense should have some advantages against their D, but counting on them to pour on a ton of points without Cam is a gamble, so we need the D and RES energy to put the clamps down and make life hell for their offense.

UteBacker

I wouldn’t mind Dorian Singer (former AZ player) having a three touchdown day.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

I’ve watched two games New Mexico and Kstate. Ghost recapped it nicely. Good QB 2 good running backs NFL wide receiver. A lot of big chunk plays. QB is short and has a gun. We have to double McMillan when possible. Contain the qb in the pocket and get a push with the D line. He is elusive and finds the throwing lanes. Their defense gave up 39 to New Mexico mostly in the first half. Could be a shootout. Our defense is much better. Offenses fairly equal with Wilson.

2 1
      Utah
      Participant

If our defense limits big plays and Rising plays, we win big.

If our defense doesn’t limit big plays and Rising plays, we win by 10 or so.

If our defense limits big plays and Wilson plays, we win by 10 or so.

If our defense doesn’t limit big plays and Wilson plays…we could lose.

1 2
        NarfUte
        Participant

Cam isn’t playing, so prep for that. Need to count on baby Wilson and the Defense

Utah
          Participant

That is what I am hearing as well. I’m ok with it. I think Wilson really looks good this weekend. His big issue is no TO’s.

With how bad Arizona’s defense is, I could see Wilson having close to 300 yards passing and 2-3 TD’s. He just can’t have turnovers.

1 1
      Miles E.
      Participant

If Cam plays, I’d say we win by a lot. Wilson may be a different story. Fafita is a much better quarterback than Bowman. Bowman completed around 50% of his passes, had two touchdowns and two picks. Wilson’s stats weren’t much better. If Fafita comes out and scores a few quick scores like what happened at Utah State, I’m not sure Wilson can bring us back based on what we saw in Stillwater.

I’m not sure if it was the hostile crowd, a better defense or the heat, but Wilson was off on Saturday. Even a lot of the completion throws were off and it took a few miraculous catches to real them in. I never got the sense that if OSU was up by a score or two that Wilson would be able to bring us back based on the way he was playing. Thank goodness for our defense.

Maybe if Wilson gets all the reps this week, he’ll have a much better outing. But Arizona can score quickly. Hopefully we’re ready.

Ghost of the HEB
        Participant

Wilson’s a true freshman – he’s gonna frequently look “off” and have major learning moments. You hope those those moments don’t eventually cost a game, but you can only play with fire for so long before you get burned. Would be nice to have a proven vet back there, maybe one who’s won multiple p5 conf championships.

6 1
          Tednab
          Participant

I like the optimism, but this is a team that had our number last year. we’re playing a freshman QB and they’ve had two weeks to prepare after a beat down. Utah just came off a very physical game. I like our chances , but this game isn’t a gimme

D T
        Participant

Bowman threw two touchdowns against our prevent D in garbage time….He was a big, fat zero up to that point.

Two things regarding U of A….They haven’t faced a D as nasty as ours & their D is hot garbage, particularly their front seven….We’ll bully them just like KSU bullied them.

Outside their QB/WR duo & their one CB, they have very little going for them.

8 1
          krindor
          Participant

Agreed that Utah is the better team … But Arizona is so explosive that they’re absolutely dangerous.

Here’s the scenario that scares me

• Lots of 3 and outs for for the Arizona offense.
          • One sustained drive for a touchdown
          • One big play to McMillan for a touchdown
          • One big play to McMillan where they have to settle for a FG
          • One short field on an interception that they turn into a touchdown

That’s 24 points for Arizona, even without them really consistently getting much going

Meanwhile Utah consistently moves the ball with 7 long, sustained drives….but has trouble in the red zon again

• 4 of those drives stall out in the red zone for 3 FG and 1 missed FG
          • 1 of those becomes a touchdown
          • 1 of them is a turnover when we’re threatening to score
          • The last one is at the end of the game, down 24-16, and we either run out of time or fail to convert on 4th and turnover on downs

Do I think that’s what actually happens? No, not at all. But I can see a scenario where Utah consistently outplays Arizona but still loses due to big plays. That’s the scenario that scares me, much more than them just coming in and outplaying us.

It’s also why I don’t think we can take this one for granted. Arizona is dangerous and coming off a bye

Rick
            Participant

Damn you Krindorr. We do not need realistic scenarios like these.

Ghost of the HEB
            Participant

That’s why chunk plays are so important. We had an insane time of possession advantage against OSU, yet still had to sweat it out at the end. Long, methodical drives are great for ball control and running out a clock, but it’s difficult to go that many plays in a row without a drive-killing mistake — especially when you have a true freshman at the helm.

EagleMountainUte
      Participant

I don’t know why I am not worried. I wasn’t really worried last week as well. Big12 just doesn’t look good. Utah isn’t light years above anyone else they just happen to be better coached than every other team.

Arizona does have some talent though and it is bad when it shows up. Utah has talent and really hasn’t put a complete game together.

Any word on Reid?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.