Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

What happened to Jaylon Glover?

Welcome Cowboy Fans Forums Utah Utes Sports Football What happened to Jaylon Glover?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      1MNUte
      Participant

Injury? Did he leave the team?

2008 National Champ
      Participant

took a leave of absence based on cryptic tweet from before the Baylor game. No one who knows the full story is telling

UteBrook
        Participant

I saw him on the sideline after a series

1MNUte
      Participant

What did the tweet say?

RoboUte
      Participant

They probably sent him out and a gentle crosswind folded him on the way.

2008 National Champ
        Participant

so you’re saying he can’t even break wind?

RoboUte
          Participant

I’m not sure but he should explore it for the added boost.

AlohaUte
      Participant

My bet is that he decided to transfer and asked the coaches not to play him.

Hahnenwk
        Participant

Didn’t he have a punt return?

2008 National Champ
        Participant

I’m on the same page but feel like it’s a mutual decision. Mitchell and Stanley have passed him up, there’s probably still bad feelings about the way the Tavion situation was handled (wasn’t Glover the one Thomas punched at practice?), and both sides have decided to part ways.

RoboUte
          Participant

If he’s still mad about getting punched by a guy that’s works at Arby’s now he can’t be helped. But I am pretty concerned about the number of RBs that quit our team out of raw frustration, if so.

2008 National Champ
            Participant

I can’t speak to how many are quitting but we discussed the logjam at RB and QB ad nauseum a couple of years ago. The QB transfers already happened but that RB room is still overcrowded with kids in essentially the same class.

The Tavion situation was bad enough that Bernard entered the portal and kicked the tires on playing for Deion before coming back. Jackson left and that still hasn’t been explained to my satisfaction. Glover could just be the latest domino or I could be talking out of my ass from 1,000 miles away.,, I guess my point is that when things don’t work out the way type A’s want, any excuse can be enough to latch on to whether rational or not.

Utesbyfive
              Participant

JaQuinden took a bag of cash.

2008 National Champ
                Participant

I have no doubt he got a good deal. But you don’t switch from being the starter on a team many are saying is a shoe-in for the playoff to a one year deal unless you think that check is the last one you are going to get.

The chances of his making the league were at least as good if he stayed where he was at as moving on which is why I don’t think the bigger NIL deal was the whole story.

22Ute22
                  Participant

That’s the story that was given and we have no reason to believe it’s not true. RB’s take a beating, especially when you’re a bellcow like JJ. Plus, his family is, from what I’ve heard, not very wealthy. I’m guessing that when he saw all the injuries on our team last year and he himself was playing hurt, he decided the bag at Arkansas was the better decision. Apparently he would have stayed at Utah had we matched Arkansas’ offer but we didn’t.

The only thing that was rumored was that I think he was upset with how much NIL cam got despite not playing, while he got nowhere near as much despite being one of our better players on offense last season.

RoboUte
              Participant

Onlyu confirmed the hearsay last year on this very board. He left, in large part, out of frustration with how the team was handled last year. And he left to a team that was speculated to possibly not even make a bowl.

EagleMountainUte
      Participant

Transfer portal looking for a spot I imagine.

I won’t miss him it never seemed to work. He was slow hitting holes and making cuts. Maybe it will click for him closer to home. Wish him luck.

1 1
        RoboUte
        Participant

I can’t think of a worse back that saw regular playing time at Utah in the last decade. But his departure makes a thin position even thinner. I don’t see us weathering the season with our current RB corps. Unless Vincent overperforms and shoulders a significant load this season I don’t see any other path forward than converting another player to RB

AlohaUte
          Participant

Bernard is doing just fine. RB is not my major concern.

2 1
            RoboUte
            Participant

He’s doing great. Bernard is flat out one of my favorite utes of all time. But he doesn’t have the durability or size to shoulder a season. By bowl season when we need him most, if hes not injured to the point if being out of play, he’d be ground to paste and ineffective.

Yergensen
              Participant

We don’t know if MB can endure a season of bellcow workload. He was always slotted into the utility role because he “couldn’t physically handle a full workload.”

I’ve never believed the narrative, I believe he can be the bellcow for a season. The cramping continues to be an issue, but so far, so good.

2008 National Champ
          Participant

Jordan Wilmore

If you looked at both of their HS tapes, you would see guys that were great in the open field but went down at first contact. That doesn’t get better when you move to D1 but people tend to value the 4* more than what their eyes are telling them

RoboUte
            Participant

Heck i forgot Wilmore existed.

chinngiskhaan
            Participant

Willmore is a good comparison. Neither one can run through contact. Its like they are playing two hand touch out there.

NarfUte
              Participant

Fun fact, Wilmore played at Ottawa University Arizona in the naia last year.

chinngiskhaan
                Participant

WTF is Ottowa University Arizona?

RoboUte
                Participant

I had to google almost this entire sentence. I had no idea what any of that is at all.

NarfUte
                  Participant

Neither did I when I was trying to find out where Wilmore went after USU – apparently it’s a small religious NAIA school in Surprise, Arizona.

22Ute22
          Participant

Agreed. Bernard is looking good and has been healthy, but Mitchell is already playing hurt. That leaves only Stanley as a scholarship RB, but he’s very light. At the very least when Stanley is in the game, they should consider doing some tosses to the outside to get him to the perimeter instead of just sweeps that are very predictable, but of course Ludwig won’t do that.

Going back to the topic of scholarship RB’s, an injury to say, Mitchell, would leave us with only 2 scholarship RB’s in play. I guess at that point you rely on your passing game more? I think Utah could definitely make do if they ran Kuithe or Carsen Ryan as an H-back or Fullback in some packages while having two other TE’s on the field. There are a lot of ways we can mitigate a RB shortage imo. Of course, it would heavily depend on Ludwig being creative.

2008 National Champ
            Participant

Randle could always move back and Andrews would be available. It’s not what anyone wants but if Utah has gotten to the point where they need RB6 and RB7 on the depth chart to win games.,,

Utah5410
      Participant

Whit addressed Glover. He is not in the portal. Whit mentioned practice and doing what he is supposed to do on and off the field. So. it seems he is in the doghouse.

Utah5410
      Participant

Oh and MB is a beast. He deserves all the carries he can handle.

Ben
      Participant

Jaylon unfortunately is not really good at any one thing. Just average at RB. Bummer due to his recruiting profile. But methinks he’s likely played his last down as a Ute against SUU.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.