Next:
Utah @  Houston
ESPN+

When does USC throw 8 million a year at Petersen?

Donate in the 2024 Fundraiser! Forums Utah Utes Sports Football When does USC throw 8 million a year at Petersen?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Utah
      Participant

The fact that Petersen or Whitt isn’t coaching at USC is the greatest mistake ever made in college football. 

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

How’s the heat and humidity at USC? Enough for him?

EagleMountainUte
      Participant

2019-2020 was my prediction for Petersen. Whitt I think turned them down he is retiring here. 

Puget Ute
      Participant

I think Clay Helton did a decent job coaching that game. He made good adjustments in the game and held Ohio State to 17 points on offense, including a complete shutout after midway through the second quarter. And despite TheDarnold having dozens of turnovers including a pick six, the Trojans were still a blown PI call and a doinked FG away from being back in the game. 

Whitt would absolutely hate coaching at SC, and Trojan fans would grow tired of Petersen’s 3-5 trick plays per game that usually fail.

Hellhound152
      Participant

USC courted Petersen hard in 2013 before they hired Sark.  Petersen is a “odd duck” in the same way Bronco Mendenall, Rocky Long, Gary Patterson, or even Kyle Whittingham is.  USC is an awful landing spot for these odd duck coaches because the SC job brings with it certain elements that need something above and beyond a great football coach to navigate. 

Both USC and Petersen knew after a “awkward visit” in 2013 that the job wasn’t for him (he withdrew from consideration).  The reason Pete Carroll was so successful (and it all came undone at the end) was because he wasn’t a OCD coach like the guys listed above who need total control over the program.  Part of the reason I think that Kelly to UCLA may turn out to be a total disaster is that Chip Kelly isn’t going to be “Hollywood” enough for UCLA and the city will eat him up and drive him insane because he won’t be able to run his militant system like he did in Oregon.

Utah
        Participant

Petersen didn’t take the job because they wouldn’t let him pick his assistant coaches. 

As Kalani has learned, make sure you can get your people. 

USC has to be slapping themselves. 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.