Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

Whitt said all the NFL guys will not be playing in the bowl game

Welcome Cowboy Fans Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Whitt said all the NFL guys will not be playing in the bowl game

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      ProudUte
      Participant

This bowl game has the making of being a disaster for the Utes. Between, the NFL draft guys, portal guys, and our numerous injuries – who will play on December 23rd?

Guys who will not be playing include Rising, Kuithe, Bernard, Curry, Vele, Yassmin, Pittman, Laumea, Barton, Bishop, Ellis, Johnson, Matthews, Broughton, and about 10 backup guys. Other possibilities include Vaki and Bills.

Whitt says Barnes will start and Rose or Bottari will be the backup. He said that Rose can play without hurting his future eligibility. Why not start Rose???

Whitt also said that at least 5 guys on the team will be declaring for the draft early. I know of three. So, there are at least two more. Whitt seems to know who they are but will allow them to announce on their own time.

I had hoped things would work out differently during December. But, it is what it is. Now, we will have to work the portal big time.

RedUte14
      Participant

at this point i wouldn’t worry about winning and hopefully get some playing time for those who at least seem like they will stay around.

ProudUte
        Participant

Yes, I completely agree with you.

Ghost of the HEB
        Participant

The bowl losing streak we’re on right now sucks. Win the damn game.

D T
      Participant

I thought Barton was supposed to be back for our bowl game?

Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

The question isn’t who is not playing but who is left to play? Looks like a watered down CU game. I wonder if Tom Lovat is coming out of retirement to coach them. Glad we get 15 practices to work with next year portal transfers.

Don’t mean to be so negative but why play these bowl games at all? Recruiting players that might actually play next year should a priority. Spreading coaches too thin is not going to help.

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

Between portal, NIL, NFL draft and all that, unless you’re playing in the playoff, bowls seem worthless.

The Miami Ute
        Participant

I know that ESPN/Fox. etc…love bowls because it makes them money. However, when you crunch the numbers, the monetary gains for the schools is really minimal for all the effort that’s required to go to a bowl. Unless the networks start sweetening the pot considerably, non-playoff bowls might go the way of the dodo.

Charlie
          Participant

Whitt is very aware of the funding need for football and will mention it from time to time. However, in the bowl conversations I don’t think I have ever heard him hint that the money is matters. What he always talks about is the value of extra practice. It is equal to spring ball and you already know how much they value spring ball.

Jim Vanderhoof
        Participant

Don’t forget HS recruits. Lots of bases to cover.

DataUte
        Participant

Yeah, they used to be fun, a reward for a good season, and enjoyed by players. But now with money driving things so much (and injury insurance not enough I guess), players going to the NFL don’t want to risk injury and want to start prep to improve their draft stock, players that have entered the portal for the most part don’t play (some do like Barnes), the economics don’t make a ton of sense. The only reason is 15 extra practices, but yes, Portal, HS, NIL and bowl ‘prep’ are all going on at the same time (as the holidays) so coaches are busier than ever and players still apparently should have finals and want to have some holiday time with family …

Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

Latest betting line : Utah -7. Northwestern over achieved this year. Interim head coach promoted to head coach. 1-11 last year. They will be excited for the opportunity to play in a bowl.

1 1
        The Miami Ute
        Participant

That’s what I’m afraid of…you can bet that Northwestern will be hyped and excited to play us and not vice versa. Whatever the case, Utah needs to win to break the four game bowl losing streak. It would be poetic to break the streak against the team that started it.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.