Whitt’s Press Conf

Viewing 1 reply thread

SOWhat
      Ute Fan
      @sowhat

I liked what I heard from Coach Whitt, I thought it was spot on. The offense played pretty well, except a couple of plays. The defense not so much, didn’t play well in at all. On offense, the Florida goal line stand, Thomas tripped on Risings foot on third down, otherwise probably would have scored. Fourth down was a really close play and we didn’t get the call.
      The last play, hide sight being what it is, we probably should have kicked the FG.
      Overall the team played very hard, as did Florida. Good effort, just a little short on offense.
      The defense needs some work, but I think they will show improvement. I think Florida is the best team we will play this year.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

We’re not going to kick a FG with 22 seconds left, 2nd down and goal from the 6. If we get to 4th down, then yes. 

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Yep. My main problem was the Utes were running well so why not run? On the flip side they couldn’t punch it in running on the goal line before. I guess that’s why I’m not a coach.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Running might have eaten too much time. I don’t remember if we had any TO’s left, with about 20 seconds left you could easily get 3 passing plays or 2 passing plays and a FG.  That may have only been enough time for 2 runs. 

gothamute
            Ute Fan
            @gothamute

We were out of timeouts

PNW Ute
            Ute Fan
            @pnwute

No timeouts left.

Could have ran the ball on 2nd down, but if they didn’t score would have to hurry to the line and spike the ball on 3rd to get the field goal unit in for 4th. Could have been done, but risky, and then they only get one chance to score.

By throwing on 2nd down they give themselves enough time to run another play (another pass) on 3rd down. So they get two chances to score instead of only one.

I’m okay with that play call, but I would have preferred to have seen something on 2nd down with a rollout. Give Rising the option to run it in if it is wide open (which he is good at), or hit an open receiver, or throw it away if nothing was open. Which he should have down anyway on the called play, I guess.

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

This is why I’m not a coach. Good call.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Ironically I think 2015 or older Whitt takes FG more than trying to punch it in. So Utah probably wins playing it ole Whitt style against Florida. Taking points on the road kind of makes sense to me. Utah just had some bad luck at times. TT doesn’t get tripped up by Rising he scores easily.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Whitt’s Press Conf