Arizona @  Utah
ESPN

Whitt’s presser notes

Beat Arizona Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Whitt’s presser notes

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      ProudUte
      Participant

Good start to conference play. Proud of our guys. Lots of positive takeaways.

Proud of Wilson’s efforts in a hostile environment.

Bernard was a big positive but could not have done it without the line.

D played great for 3 1/2 quarters. Give credit to OSU for not giving up.

That was our kind of game outside the turnovers.

Red-zone productions was not good. We left too many points on the field.

Converting 4 out 5 4th down conversion was excellent.

We are right where we want to be as a team.

No season-ending injuries.

The decision to play Isaac was made 20 minutes before the game. No gamesmanship.

We have to come up with something to stop Fifita and MacMillan. They are great players MacMillan is a big-time receiver.

Cam did not have enough velocity on the ball to play Saturday. He could not spin it. We followed the plan. We gave Cam some rest late in the week to help him heal. But, Isaac gave us the best chance to win.

It is great to see Isaac’s progression. We will start the guy who gives us the best chance to win. Cam is cleared to play, so that is not an issue.

KState ran the ball effectively against Arizona and Arizona could not run. That’s why KState won. KState mixed up their coverage.

He likes everything about Singer’s play. He is a very valuable asset. He is complete player including blocking. He made some amazing catches on Saturday.

He likes everything about Isaac’s progression. He has the “it” factor that not everyone has. He is fearless and an excellent runner.

Bernard is one of the rushing leaders in the conference. He ran more often than we would have liked, but he stepped up.

We had 15 missed tackles which is more than we want. We want to keep it to single digits.

We kept Gordon in check which helped us win.

This team is incredibly passionate, competitive, and fun to coach. It’s a team that loves football. They are all in.

Isaac pretty much has the entire play book available to him. The game plan is similar (not exactly the some) when Isaac is in there.

The offensive line did great but they did get a bit worn late in the game. We controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides. Pass protection was okay.

Fifita can run the ball, but would rather pass. We need to keep MacMillan in check. If he get 200 yards receiving we are in trouble.

Davis and Calhoun are splitting time, and both are doing great. Very proud of them and Smith Snowden. Pleased with the secondary other than some missed tackles by the safeties.

Our two young offensive tackles are improving. Kump made some pancakes. 🙂

OSU’s safety came out of nowhere on the first interception. The second interception was a poor throw.

9 1
      Anfernee
      Participant

“Cam is cleared to play, so that is not an issue.” *I lay down in the fetal position remembering those words in 2023*

OldAsDirtUte
      Participant

“Cam did not have enough velocity on the ball to play Saturday. He could not spin it. We followed the plan. We gave Cam some rest late in the week to help him heal. But, Isaac gave us the best chance to win.”

Looks like Isaac is our QB for the next game, at least.

ProudUte
        Participant

I don’t know. I was wondering on Saturday, if he can’t throw it well today – will one week really make a difference? I suspect that there is at least a fair chance they give him the two weeks (with the bye) to heal up. I love what I am seeing in Isaac, but Cam is still light years ahead of him. So, I hope Cam has some zip on his throw this week.

Charlie
          Participant

Who knows. I had surgery on August 30. Stiches dissolved but still have a scab. Not in my 20s and not gripping anything. I suppose he needs his cut to heal enough to not pull open again. I have no idea how much taping helps.

I think we have enough on offense with either QB to get past Az., I think the key task this weekend falls to the defense.

ProudUte
            Participant

I just hope he heals quicky and back on the field.

Red Son
            Participant

“and not gripping anything.”
            You sure about that meme

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.