Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

Who will be Utah’s leading receiver in 2024?

Welcome Cowboy Fans Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Who will be Utah’s leading receiver in 2024?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      ProudUte
      Participant

We are 24 days from our first game. Let’s start some football discussions.

Question of the day – Who will be our leading receiver?

I predict that Kuithe will lead in catches and Singer will be the leader in total yards. I think Kuithe will have about 60 receptions and Singer will have 800+ total receiving yards. (It would be nice to have a receiver with 1000+ yards, but there are a lot of people to throw to.

Others in the mix will be Money Parks, Lyons, Pittman, and McClain.

What do you guys think?

3 1
      RedUte14
      Participant

i think…
      #1 Singer with 900+
      #2 Kuithe with like 500-700
      #3 Alford 600ish
      #4 Parks 400
      #5 Pittman 300-400
      #6 Bernard 200-300

Zigziggler
      Participant

Since we are just guessing here. I really think with our WR additions we are going to see our offensive philosophy go that route. I think Kuithe is going to have a good year, but it will be different, in that our offense doesn’t go through the TE and the run keeps opponents honest. I think that Singer is going to lead our team in receptions and Money Parks is going to lead in yards. I think Pittman will end up being average but productive. Lyons will end up being a tough across the middle possession type. Alford will be a red zone threat along with King. Kuithe will occasionally give us glimpses of what was, but our personnel is so different that, he will have to be used differently so his production will go down.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

I agree with you proud Ute on Singer and Kuithe. My hope is we throw the ball downfield more which leads to some big plays.

Onlyu
        Participant

My prediction…we throw more than we run and by a good amount. 55/45.

Catches – Singer, Kuithe, Pittman, Parks, King, Bernard, Alford in that order.

Mitchell will be a positive factor and Glover will pleasantly surprise in the run game.

Pass pro will be outstanding and the run will open up off of the pass.

AZUTE
          Participant

I’m thinking it might even be more like 60/40

But I also expect Utah’s backup QB handing off a lot in blowout 4th qtr situations.

Central Coast Ute
            Participant

And that can always skew the numbers. It may go 60/40, then if there’s a blowout, it goes 10/90, and the stats get messed up. But I’ll take it

Charlie
          Participant

I also think the split can slip to 60/40 as the offense opens up. I think Whitt may play a bit more loose with the change of conference. So many more coaches he does not have history with and so few years to worry about later payback. But as Whitt begins to sunset his goals have changed from bowl games and conference championships to deep runs in the playoffs. I expect he will be thinking about running with the top teams in the country and not simply be satisfied with winning games. Just thinking maybe Whitt gets into All gas No breaks more than ever before.

As for the offense, I expect Cam to run less moving more plays to receivers and runners. After Singer, I expect the ball to be spread fairly even, not out of fairness but intent to build as many weapons as possible for the end-of-season run and becoming most dangerous and unpredictable. If the old Kuithe is back he and another will feast regularly on end around runs adding to the rushing yards. The pass will open up the run, the run game will open the pass routes more. The offensive numbers will exceed our history, the air will come out of the ball a bit later and Whitt will justify late scores by saying this conference has too many great offenses to be satisfied with a couple of scores lead. And he will be right to do so.

As a surprise, the return teams may pop.

NorthernUte
      Participant

Assuming Cam has roughly 3,300 yards, which is my guess on his total.
      #1- Dorian Singer w/ 1,000
      #2- Money Parks w/ 600
      #3- Micah Bernard w/ 400 (Cam is going to be throwing to our RB’s way more frequently then usual.)
      #4- Mycah Pittman w/ 400
      #5- Landen King w/ 300
      #6- Carsen Ryan w/ 200
      #7- Brant Kuithe w/ 200 (Just have a feeling he’s only going to make it through a few games, trying not to get too excited about him this year unfortunately.)

Thanks for posting creative stuff like this, I love to be able to take a break out of the day to put our predictions and do a bit of day dreaming!

22Ute22
        Participant

Yeah, I don’t know why I have a weird feeling about Kuithe too. Maybe it’s because he’s a TE and relies more on his knee’s than Cam? Or maybe it’s the non-contact jersey he wore in the spring game? I’d like proof that I’m wrong, like maybe videos of him doing sprints/agility workouts, or lifting heavy weights, or just anything.

DataUte
      Participant

When I saw the question, my first reaction was Kuithe then Singer. But I like where some are going with their predictions. Kuithe’s continued health will obviously be a question until he plays all the games and stays healthy, but anyone is prone to an injury. Parks and Pittman will be in the mix enough and we’ll get some catches from a few other TEs and RBs (which will be a more prominent feature). Man, there are a lot of offensive options. Hope we average 35+. Defense could be one that keeps teams under 17, but Big 12 is an offensive party (so glad we actually have a good defense).

I think it’s more likely we have a 1k receiver than a 1k RB (I think we might end up with 3 guys with 400-600 yards rushing and 3 RBs with a 100 yard game).

Red Rhino
      Participant

Last year Washington threw for 5155 yards and rushed for 1982. They ran approximately 42% and passed about 58%. They had two receivers with over 1000 yards in Odunze (1640) and Polk (1159).

Based on typical playoff team numbers, and if we project to be a playoff team, I believe we need at least 4000 yards passing and 2000 yards rushing this year. Michigan only threw for 3200 yards and rushed for 2700. I don’t think we have the horses to rush for 2700 so I think we need to adopt the Washington model and throw more. I would like to believe we’re a playoff team, so I’m going to assume we have 4000 yards receiving. That’s still 1000 yards short of Washington’s passing yards last year. I believe our defense this year will be better than Washington’s defense last year, so I don’t think we need to produce as much offense as Washington did.

If we divvy up 4000 yards I think it breaks down as so:

Singer 1200
      Kuithe 800
      Afford 700
      Parks 400
      Ryan 200
      Bernard 200
      King 200
      Pitman 200
      Lyons 100

Obviously, this assumes Cam stays healthy.

Utah
        Participant

Penix threw for 1332 yards out of conference. I’d love it if Whitt allowed Rising to throw for that, but I’m not sure he will. The only time Rising threw for more than 300 yards in 2022 was vs USC, and he did it both times we played them…so I don’t know what to make of that.

Let’s say Rising throws for 300 yards per game his first three games. That is 900 yards.

Penix threw for 1004 yards in CCG and playoffs.

So, Penix threw for 3899 in the regular season…or 324 yards per game.

Cam averaged 233 yards per game throwing in 2022. I think a realistic goal for Rising is 275 yards per game throwing. That would come out to 3300 regular season yards. If we played in the CCG game and one playoff game, Cam’s season total goal would be 3850.

I think that is realistic.

MDUte
      Participant

I think you nailed it Proud! I agree 100%!

MDUte
      Participant

I think you nailed it Proud! I agree 100%!

Red Rhino
      Participant

Good point about the off-season Utah.

I think we will see utah throw it more this year than Whit ever has thrown it. Part of that will be because our RBs may not be elite this year. Does Cam have it in him to average 333 yards per game this year? Not sure but the higher throwing average and lesser pass defense in the B12 may make it possible.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.