Next:
Utah @  Utah State
CBS Sports Network

Why Britain Covey is the best punt returner in the NFL

Welcome Big12 Fans and Foes Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Why Britain Covey is the best punt returner in the NFL

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      krindor
      Participant

I generally do a preseason analysis of which Utah, BYU, Utah St, Southern Utah etc players are on NFL bubbles or likely to make rosters.

In doing research for that and looking at Covey, I came across this excellent article on why Britain Covey is the best punt returner in the NFL

If you don’t care to read it, here’s the summary

1. Britain Covey has an excellent punt return average – among the best in the league
      2. His actual impact is higher though. He calls for fewer fair catches than other returners, under the mindset that “two yards is better than zero yards”. It means he’s more likely to get blown up and also hurts his per return average…but helps the team
      3. Similarly, Covey pretty much never lets a punt roll. He’ll stop it, even if (stop me if you’ve heard this) it means he gets blown up and lowers his per return average. But it saves the team 10+ yards when he does it
        • Just a very well-written article and some hidden value that he brings

dut99002
      Participant

Covey’s built different, to be sure. I heard an interview with him from a few weeks ago on ESPN 700 where he talked about how in depth he studies punt return film. Including he will get cut ups and data and share it with the rest of the punt team to help them improve in their own assignments.

Pretty cool.

CityCreekUte
      Participant

He’s got more talent than size that’s for sure. But beyond that his will is infectious that even fans feel it. As a teammate I’d expect guys being ready to murder someone for him.

Tony (admin)
        Keymaster

He’s got more talent than size

…that’s what she said.

Distantute
      Participant

Dude will be successful in whatever he does given his charisma and work ethic. Could see him being a great coach kids want to play for some day.

NashvilleUte
        Participant

Would love to see him come back to Utah on the coaching staff someday!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.