Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

Why didn’t pledger play in the second half?

Welcome Cowboy Fans Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Why didn’t pledger play in the second half?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      chinngiskhaan
      Participant

Because he dropped a pass? Because he got hurt? Because the other two guys are better? IDC which one of these ends up being the answer, I’m just wondering if anyone has any insight into the actual reason.

LetItRide
      Participant

OnlyU pinned him as the frontrunner at one point. So he has seen/heard flashes of solid play. Hopefully he’s back playing cause he’s definitely a playmaker.
      I want to see more…..it’s early.

chinngiskhaan
        Participant

Yeah, I have no idea who the best is. When you look at pledger’s stats, he had 2 carries for 10 yards. That isn’t bad at all, especially considering that he played in the first quarter when our offensive line was playing like ballsack. I was just wondering if anyone knew why he didn’t get any run in the second half.

Charlie Foxtrot
          Participant

I also think some of it is just situational football, the best person for the current situation.  After the WSU goal line stand (in the 3rd quarter if I remember correctly) where we couldn’t punch it in, I think the coaching staff made a call to just run it right down their throat (build confidence of the O line back up) and Thomas is the most physically imposing back with the break away ability.  At that point the overall score was still too close for comfort and re-establishing the line of scrimage from a mental standpoint was a good coaching decision.  Thomas just happens to be the guy who best fits that scenario even though he fumbled earlier.

Central Coast Ute
      Participant

If I had to guess it’s because the coaches decided to go with Thomas. Yes Pledger dropped a pass, but Thomas fumbled. Which one is worse? Yet we saw Thomas play more in the second half than anyone. This week there will be a pecking order, no more “or’s”. My guess is it will be Thomas, Bernard, Pledger, Curry. Honestly, the few times I saw Curry carry the ball weren’t all that bad.

Ute Dub
        Participant

I think Bernard, Thomas, Pledger, Curry. Bernard knows the offense better. 

Charlie
      Participant

No doubt Whitt does not like turnovers. He has a long history of letting someone sit for a fumble. In a game that we did not need him to win, it is possible a teaching moment was there. Curry also had only a few carries and Thomas had half the carries. I did think the numbers would be more balanced for this game. I think we will drift soon to 2 primary ball carriers.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.