Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

Will we have/need/want a RB1 or go with a committee? Who will lead?

Welcome Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Will we have/need/want a RB1 or go with a committee? Who will lead?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      DataUte
      Participant

I’m of the opinion that we are more likely to have 3 RBs with 400-600 yards (maybe one that is closer to 700, maybe another that gets to 300) than a 1000 yard rusher – a more true RB1 like Thomas, Moss, Williams, Booker, etc.

Bernard, Glover are likely the top 2. Both will get carries, have experience, might go out for receiving and will be needed on pass block. Would love to see Randle, Mitchell, Stanley to step up. Is Vincent still on the roster and is he going to take next steps? Sad that Woods came over and could have had an impact but is injured.

My guesses (rushing only):
      Bernard – 700
      Glover – 500
      Randle – 300
      Rising – 300 (and will get yelled at each time to stop running)
      others with 100-200 yards

Flame away

Utesbyfive
      Participant

I understand Bernard wants to be an every down back. More power to him.

Charlie
        Participant

I was trying to remember, was it last year or the year before that Bernard was on a pitch count. Either way, he is clearly our most versatile back but it would be a new development if he is healthy to be an every down back. One reason he may come close is he is awesome at blocking and picking up a blitz in protection.

Ute-yankee
      Participant

I doubt anyone has more than 20 rushes a game consistently. More likely we see whoever is running well that day get the lions share of the carries any given week.

ProudUte
      Participant

I believe we will start the season with running back by committee. However, I would not be surprised that by week 4 one of the guys emerges as RB1. We saw this with Tavion in 2021. Regardless, Bernard will be in the mix because of his experience and his skills as a receiver.

22Ute22
      Participant

What have you seen that makes you think Randle will be RB3? He is incredibly undersized at 6’0” 182 pounds. Mike Mitchell is most likely to be the RB3 to enter the season, and probably has the best chance to be a Bellcow RB1.

DataUte
        Participant

No reason. I don’t know enough about Randle and Mitchell other than 90 and 86 as recruits. We’ll need them all and whoever can deliver, I’m all for. Hoping top 2 are work horses and RB3 and beyond are only needed if for depth for injuries.

UtesRule
      Participant

Sad point…Ty Jordan would’ve been a Senior on this year’s team (a 5th year Covid Sr).

Onlyu
        Participant

Bernard, Glover, Mitchell, Stanley/Andrews is my guess at the chart right now.

DataUte
        Participant

Even sadder, would be starting his 2nd NFL year after offensive rookie of the year.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

Bernard is a given. Question can Mitchell surpass Glover at #2. I agree with proud Ute that by game 4 we should have a better idea. Andrews is a new name I believe he was recruited as an athlete?

Rick
        Participant

That’s an interesting tidbit OnlyU has thrown us. Hunter Andrews has been touted as a next great linebacker – 6’3″, 220 lbs as a freshman; but he was a runningback in high school.

Perhaps we’ll hear some more soon. He must be getting some reps on offense. One thing that stood out in his high school highlights to me was how hard he ran. That’s the attribute I’m most worried about with the runningback room – a ‘back who runs with some violence when he meets contact. Mitchell is built to be that back but I didn’t see it in his running style in the spring game. Bernard and Glover haven’t demonstrated that kind of physicality yet.

Anfernee
      Participant

Rivals Alex Markham tweeted out today:
      “Whittingham publicly said today that LB Hunter Andrews is getting reps at RB. From what I had been hearing and continue to hear, there’s a lot of intrigue with Andrews’ reps at RB, right now. A LOT.”

2008 National Champ
        Participant

on his HUDL, Andrews pulls away from DB’s so he has plenty of speed. Not sure if he has the quick cut ability that Vaki showed last year but he could potentially have the same size/speed type of game that Booker did.

Of course, it doesn’t say much for the 2023 class of 4 stars if a guy recruited to play LB gets moved over and takes reps from those 3.

Hunter Andrews

High Uintas
      Participant

Andrews’ numbers at running back were ridiculous. Over 9 yards per carry! I think this is a clear statement that we need a power back.

Uteanooga
      Participant

I’d like to see RB by committee in hopes that they will still be healthy for the playoffs. How many years have we seen a dominant back carry us through a fine season but end weakly due to injuries? That seems to have been a common thread for us.

LetItRide
        Participant

After video on hudl he reminded me of Luke Staley 2000s BYU.
        Kid has a burst and could be our next JQJ project/toy.
        It worked last time……

AlohaUte
      Participant

Any update on Woods? Is he playing and is he doing well?

I was really impressed with him coming out of Idaho, I could see him making a big impact
      But I think he may be injured?

Rick
        Participant

Woods will not play this season – ACL injury. Hopefully, we’ll see him competing in the spring.

Onlyu
          Participant

I think Mitchell can be a power back as he gets closer to 215/220 and Andrews most certainly can as he learns the offense.

I’ve said it before but I’m not as concerned with the talent level in the RB room as some here. We have some very capable and talented backs. Micah is very good and is ready, he’s exceptional in pass pro and out of the backfield. Mike is a power back with breakaway speed and Glover is improved and is running harder than he has before. Andrews is the wildcard but I expect him to be involved and then Stanley will have a role as well.

Rick
            Participant

Does this mean Andrews is a running back for now or is he playing offense and defense?

Onlyu
              Participant

Definitely working at RB. Don’t see him bouncing back & forth for a while. Have 5 backers I can see getting time…Barton, Reid, Fotu, Reynolds and Calvert and 2 play at a time. Hall can come down in a pinch as well.

Not as much depth at RB so if no injuries he likely stays on offense imo

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.