Fox

Wilson

Welcome Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Wilson

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      1 13
      Distantute
      Participant

Hes so bad. How bad is rose and huard? Wilson makes pig farmer look like the greatest qb of all time.

18 1
      Utecity
      Participant

I believe he’s talented but he is absolutely NOT ready for this stage.. very damning for the coaching staff to have not been better prepared for this considering we are back to where we started at the beginning of last year. Going to be a long season

11 1
        TruckStopTerrors
        Participant

^^This. He’s just not ready. It’s not his fault he’s being thrown to the Wolves. Our fellow Utah fans need to understand this and be patient.

22Ute22
          Participant

I mean, saying Wilson should not be the backup isn’t sh*tting on him. The coaches should be more prepared. Rose should be at the very least a serviceable game manager.

TruckStopTerrors
            Participant

It’s not me saying he should be the backup. It’s going to the SUU game and hearing fellow Utah fans saying he sucks, overrated blah blah blah. They expect him to be a polished product day one. It’s annoying to hear that s**t. It’s ignorance. How many true freshman are legit starters at QB day 1? We need to give the kid some slack.

EagleMountainUte
          Participant

I don’t get this argument. A backup isn’t ready because he is a freshman? These are not exactly wolves either it was SUU and Baylor. Baylor was 113 last year total defense also my eyeball says they are not climbing any spots in 2024.

AlohaUte
        Participant

He’s got talent and will be fine. But I’m seriously concerned about his height. He’s not 6’0.

Yergensen
        Participant

Whitt is the GOAT, that does not mean he doesn’t have blind spots. QB is a big blind spot for him.

The worst thing Whitt can do to Isaac right now is to distrust him, to short leash him, to take the ball out of his hands.

Unfortunately until Cam is back, Whitt is going to play Whitt ball. He’s going to run the ball at stacked boxes, make low risk (& opportunity) throws and put it on the defense.

Even if we win, Isaac will be no further along in his development and possibly worse off with some lost confidence.

2008 National Champ
      Participant

Let’s be fair. Trevor Lawrence was the most prepared HS QB this century and he wasn’t ready to be the starter day 1. Utah played a 5 star for UCLA last year that also proved he wasn’t ready. The expectation that Wilson – who was around the 15th highest rated in last year’s class – would be is more pressure than should be placed on the kid’s shoulders.

It was up to the staff to have a qualified backup in case Rising went down so that Wilson wouldn’t be put in the situation he was today. There’s nothing wrong with having a scripted series for Wilson every game so that he can get his feet wet but to be forced to try to save this game, or potentially the season, is not something he should have been subjected to.

Utecity
        Participant

Agreed

jshame17
        Participant

I don’t expect him to be a world beater, but I do expect him to be able to hit the target to give his receivers a chance, when he has no pressure…

2008 National Champ
          Participant

He’s under a ton of pressure and it has nothing to do with the pass rush.

cj13
        Participant

Is Caleb Williams one of the greatest true freshman QBs? He was still amazing when he played for Oklahoma

RoboUte
          Participant

Not everybody can be Manziel

2008 National Champ
          Participant

We’re now comparing Wilson to Caleb Williams?

Williams freshman year he got some garbage time reps game 2 against FCS. Threw one pass game 5, then took over when Rattler was ineffective game 6 against Texas. The fact that Williams succeeded when so many else would have failed in the same situation is why he was the top rated QB in his class and the #1 pick in the draft.

Expecting Wilson to be Caleb Williams is more pressure than the kid needs right now. Put together a Bottari against Colorado type game plan where you give him low-risk opportunities and don’t force him to try to be Rising. Let his performance determine how much more leash you want to give him. But for god’s sake, don’t expect him to be more than what he is: a true freshman getting his first experience at big time college football.

UtMtBiker
        Participant

Fair is being okay with 10/25 for 130. 20 yards in 2.5 quarters and over throwing guys by 4 feet, multiple interceptions against a FCS team is horrific

1 1
        22Ute22
        Participant

2 things can be true at once:

1) Wilson should not be the backup. Rose should be the backup based on how long he’s been here.

2) Wilson should be able to complete wide open throws. If a true freshman WR dropped a wide open pass, would you say that it’s not that bad because he’s a true freshman? No, you do your damn job and at the very least make the easy plays. If he can’t hit a wide open player, he’s no different than any of us on this forum.

10 2
      RoboUte
      Participant

My concern isn’t wilson. I have a lot of faith in him. My concern is that our team loses all fire at setbacks. We feel culturally weak.

ProudUte
      Participant

I wish Wilson looked better, but he is 18, and they did not allow him to do much. Whitt just wanted to hold on for the win, which they did. If he starts against USU next week, I think you will see a different guy. Oh, and Baylor’s D showed a lot of new stuff knowing they were going against a true freshman.

I say it’s way too early to judge Isaac yet.

Utecity
        Participant

This is true, and I don’t think anyone is giving enough credit to the Baylor defense for actually being a very solid unit

UtMtBiker
          Participant

Didn’t look solid in the first quarter

Utah#1
            Participant

Until Rising got hurt, and then they smell the blood in the water and viciously attacked nonstop.

2008 National Champ
          Participant

I am. From the red zone stop on, Baylor was shutting down Utah’s O even with Rising in the game. Other than that 5 minute stretch where Utah scored, then got the ball at the 5 from the strip sack, Baylor’s D played really well.

EagleMountainUte
        Participant

That isn’t true. Last two possessions they shut it down. But Wilson was trying to run the offense. He was throwing bombs and everything.

2 1
      Uteanooga
      Participant

I don’t think anyone is wanting to judge Wilson’s career or value to the program- people are observing that he has not been good. Which he has not. This is not to see that he won’t be good. But over two games he has played poorly and it is fair to say that this type of play will not be good enough for Utah to achieve the type of season that most fans have been excited about.

Ultimate Ute
      Participant

Apparently he is currently unable to pass or run the D-I level. If Rising goes down, Ute’s are cooked, done, stick a fork in it.

7 1
      ReconUte
      Participant

Wilson is a solid 2 years out to be a starter. He’s also far from 6’0! I’m 5’9 and I stood next to him and he’s a solid 5’10. Gonna have a hard time seeing over the O line.
      Cam has to make smarter decisions with the ball. Yes it was a dirty play but the dirty play doesn’t happen if he just throws it away. He’s gotta stop the hero ball bulls**t!
      Kuithe was non existent even with Cam playing. That’s concerning. Don’t care what he did against SUU.
      This team nearly gave up on itself! Gotta have more leadership to step up when s**t ain’t going your way.
      QB room is void of talent that is READY once again. This has been the theme for the last ten years.
      D is absolutely a machine! Could possibly be the best since 2019.
      Becker has to get it together.

TruckStopTerrors
        Participant

Agreed, the shove was dirty but it all could’ve been avoided had Cam made the right play a second or two before and thrown the ball away sooner. That’s the frustrating thing with Cam sometimes.

CityCreekUte
      Participant

He came in up 3td today and up 35 against an FCS school. That’s not exactly coming into a pressure situation.

Hell the pig farmer came into the 4th quarter of a Rose Bowl against a top 5 team and played his ass off when the scouting report on him was light.

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

Wilson has a gun for an arm and talent. He needs time to develop mentally. This will pay off for him later, but there may be painful moments now,

ukiyoronin
      Participant

Remember how Jayden Daniels looked against Utah? Terrible. Went on to have a great college run. Not saying Wilson’s gonna win the heisman, but I am saying he’s going to improve a ton as he plays more.

Jim Vanderhoof
        Participant

Great points. Freshman QBs always struggle at some point. Mainly on the road with crowd noise and the home team amping the defense to force mistakes.

Whitts defensive pressure on freshman QBs is always noticeable.

Ute-yankee
      Participant

Wilson will be fine. Once Cam was out it was clear Whit shut the boilers down and coasted to victory. That 9 minute drive to eat up clock in the 4th quarter proves it.

Wilson is taking some lumps right now but he will be a good one for us.

Yergensen
      Participant

Barnes made 2 throws in that Rose Bowl, not were low difficulty. Let’s not put him on a pedestal now.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.