Next:
Utah @  Houston
ESPN+

wonder if it might have been better to have eeked out a win against USC …

Donate in the 2024 Fundraiser! Forums Utah Utes Sports Football wonder if it might have been better to have eeked out a win against USC …

• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Utah.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      sweetgrass
      Participant

https://thebiglead.com/2018/10/20/clay-helton-usc-fired/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=NFLdraftmaverick

Utah’s defense is going to make a lot of teams look bad, but USC looked really, really bad on Sat Night.

EagleMountainUte
      Participant

This was going to be his last season anyways but I think getting spanked by Utah was the final nail in the coffin for sc fans. 

1 6
      Utah
      Participant

I told everyone that Helton would be fired this year back in January. People laughed, they argued, blah, blah, blah. 

Look, it’s USC. It’s playoffs or bust. Rose Bowl’s and PAC-12 titles are old hat to those guys. They want national titles. And being the QB coach since, what, 2010? and being stuck with a true freshman as your starting QB? 

That is a colossal failure and unacceptable at USC. At Utah it is ok, but not USC. And true freshmen QB’s suck (another point I made all summer but was mocked and told how wrong I was). 

Then toss in a crazy hard OOC and playing Stanford early in the year?

You knew this was coming for USC. 

10 2
        ProudUte
        Participant

I don’t kniow what you posted this summer and really don’t care.  But, there is nothing worse than an “I told you so …”

I am sure there are predictions you made this summer that have not come true, or maybe you are just that good and you do know everything.  Maybe I should take up gambling and hang on every word you say.

Bytheway, there were many who thought Helton was on the hot seat this season.  Also, there were plenty who thought strating a Freshman QB was a likely mistake.

6 1
        iamthepreacher
        Participant

If you’re going to make posts like this you should also have to post about all of the predictions you’ve made that didn’t pan out. Because let me tell ya, there have been PLENTY of those. I also find that posts like this tend to rearrange history to fit a narrative. I’m sure plenty of folks agreed with you that Helton was on the hot seat and that most true freshmen QB’s go through major growing pains and aren’t ready for D1 football. But when looking to thump their chests, posters will make it sound like they were the lone wolf and that no one else agreed with them.

I suggest we all avoid petty posts like this because this is a pretty awesome site…let’s keep it that way.

Utah
          Participant

Oh, I do. I do every December. Where I was right, where I was wrong. 

The problem is, I’m right a lot more than wrong and a lot of people can’t handle that. So, after they give me s**t all summer and fall, they can eat their crow as well. 

UtMtBiker
      Participant

What does your subject line have to do with the link and your comment? I’m confused.  

Stone
      Participant

If Gustin had been flagged for targeting against WSU, USC might have 2 more losses right now (one to WSU and another to Arizona, where USC barely hung on). Helton would have probably been given the Kiffen treatment at this point. Helton will not last. He was a good “get us past a tumultous time” coach; clean, safe, etc. But USC demands a higher profile guy. I mean, who had even heard of Helton before being named head coach? Unless he came out winning championships, he was essentially doomed from the start. Question now is who will USC hire?

SalUteopia
        Participant

Do you think they will go after Leach? That would be really concerning.

Grayshirt
        Participant

Jeff Brohm?

Bronco Mendenhall? lol

Warrior Ute
        Participant

Kyle Whittingham?  – My buddy from USC said that is who most his USC friends wanted when they hired Helton.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.