Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

WR performance

Welcome Cowboy Fans Forums Utah Utes Sports Football WR performance

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      chinngiskhaan
      Participant

So how did our WRs perform in game 1? I saw a highlight where Pittman dropped a pass, and obviously, I saw Parks’s touchdown, but I know very little outside of that. Box scores seems to suggest that Mikey had a good game.

What I really want to know is this: Does it look like our WR group has improved this year? It’s probably too early to answer accurately, but what are everyone’s initial thoughts?

1 1
      alexsmith
      Participant

Maybe things will be different with Cam at the helm, but not much of a difference

RoboUte
        Participant

Perhaps not night and day but torching Florida’s CB1 on the opening play for 70 yards is hardly par for the course for Utah. Heck we don’t do that to the absolute worst teams we play let alone against a recruit we’d probably never land.

tanute3
      Participant

I thought it was a slight improvement overall. Not drastic, but did seem like they had good separation from defenders which has been lacking in recent years imo. Probably too early to tell. I am really excited for Matthews’ future though

22Ute22
      Participant

We don’t really know at this point. Once Utah gained a 17-3 lead at the half, it’s clear our coaching staff just wanted to run out the clock and rely on the defense. I hope we can pass more against Baylor. If we can get up early, I don’t want to see us just running out the clock. Nate needs passing reps to gain experience, and our WR’s need to show that they can make plays.

AZUTE
      Participant

Utah just doesn’t have the O that’s is gonna allow a WR to put up big numbers.

It’s run run run and only pass when absolutely necessary. As soon as Utah went up 24-3 Whit took the air out of the ball and played a prevent offense.

If Utah ever requires Barnes/Johnson to pass 35 times a game they are in major trouble. I’m guessing Whit would want to keep that total around 20 to 25 tops.

J Rocksville
      Participant

There were a couple drops and a couple balls thrown behind. Enough that if cleaned up would represent an improvement. Not threatening Ohio state, but going in the right direction.

I don’t think it’s run run run pass either. Plays are pretty equally distrubuted and I think I saw we had slightly more passing plays last year. The issue is that most of our passes are crossing routes and short throws over the middle that don’t allow our playmakers to do anything. I guess you can’t argue with results, but if we can start burning people over the top then those 8-12 yard under routes probably turn into 12-20 yard routes with an extra half second for a skill player to try and break something free.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.