zoobies

Viewing 6 reply threads

Utes 69
      Ute Fan
      @slc123

Ryan Smith is pumping millions into byu bb, I for one am boycotting the Jazz ML Hockey and any endeavors is sponsors!

Tednab
      Ute Fan
      @tednab

.. how’s that going for the jazz

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Personally, I don’t understand this take. Smith is a BB guy and is donating his own money to his alma mater. I don’t care much for basketball anymore, so I don’t watch the Jazz anyway, but him buying the Jazz was the best thing that could happen as far as keeping them in Utah goes. I don’t think Gail and Larry Miller’s children had any interest in dealing with it, and they could have been moved or sold to someone out of the state had he not bought them.

Matt
        Ute Fan
        @mgparker

This… he ensured the jazz stay here. I have not been a big fan of what Ryan Smith has done as owner. The rebrand was ugly and a massive fail. The tanking after 2/3 of the season is over doesnt make sense. And Danny Ainge thinking he can do in Utah what he did in Boston is delusional.

But Smith can put his money where he wants. He didn’t do this when Pope was the coach so that tells yiu something.

Wish he’d pump some money into our pathetic football program, lol.

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

So glad he’s chosen to pump his money into MBB and not Football haha. Hopefully things stay that way as he’s the one person who could single-handedly turn BYU Football around.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Like I said, I don’t follow BB much anymore, but I did notice the rebrand and I have to agree, that was awful.

2 1

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

That’s effing stupid

4 2

Extra Medium
      Ute Fan
      @runningreddude

the nba has sucked for years. college basketball is a terrible product. who cares.

RustyShackleford
        Ute Fan
        @shakyute13

CBB is the truest form of televised basketball there is

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I am not a cancel-culture guy. However, I think Ryan Smith needs to be careful. He should focus on his pro teams. Throwing millions at BYU and not Utah could backfire on him.’

BD
        Ute Fan
        @flyfisherman

Completely agree. He needs to be very careful.

As a SLC resident I am not happy about the proposed sales tax increase. There isn’t a greater concentration anywhere of rivals to BYU than SLC. So giving $millions to the bitter rivals while extending the begging hand to those who don’t like BYU for tax money is a slap in the face.

It is a legitimate complaint by SLC residents regardless of the “cry baby” memes and comments by trailer trash BYU fans on X.

4 1

FountainofUte
      Ute Fan
      @fountainofute

You do you, man. But this is a ridiculous take, IMO.

Ryan is a billionaire…with a “B.” Your boycott, or any collective boycott, would not put a dent in his fortune. Do I wish the Utes had a billionaire bankrolling athletics like a Smith or Uncle Phil? Of course! We had Jon Huntsman and he’s gone.

So, if turning your back on Jazz and the hockey team make you feel like you’re really sticking it to BYU, go ahead.

For me, life it too short not to just sit back and enjoy the two pro teams we have in this market along with the Utes. I’m super grateful that there are guys like Larry Miller and Smith with vision and a love of sports like I have who are willing to put their fortunes behind things that are fun for this community.

Now, if we can just get the MLB to SLC I think we might just have the perfect sports market in this country.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.